Knowledge is power....

Posted , 6 users are following.

This forum saved my sanity about 8 weeks after rotator cuff surgery. I am now 16 weeks in and happy with my progress - although still a way to go. With perspective and hindsight now, I realise the problem for me at least - lies to a great degree at the feet of the system. I can now, with confidence, say that everything I was experiencing - the ups and the very very low downs at times - seems to be very much normal and par for the course. However, if you are only seeing a physio once every 14-16 days theres a great deal of time between sessions to really not handle what's going on! I really I truly believe I could write a book on it and wished I'd kept a diary. Everyone should be told, right from the outset, what to expect, how they may feel, how fortnightly physio is actually fairly normal as the first 6 weeks are supposed to be for healing and rest (I just felt abandoned between sessions). It all makes sense NOW! More information should have been available earlier in my opinion which may have helped with the roller coaster of emotions this operation puts you through. This forum really, really helped - so thanks to all who made me feel better. However, it should not be necessary to get so low that you need online support! To all of you undergoing this experience I say good luck, look after yourself and be kind to yourself, and above all BE PATIENT! It takes a long time to mentally accept that it really does take time.......☺

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for posting much of what I have been experimenting. I had my repair on 12th June so much at the same give or take a week or two

I was told at the outset that because of the quality of both the cuff as well as the bone

I think that because of this every sound that my shoulder made I was scared that the repair was failing

I see my Physio every week I saw my Surgeon 2 weeks ago and I am having a scan on 9th November. The result of this either way will allay my anxiety

In the meantime it is carry on with the Physio

Good to know that. I.am not alone in my concerns Sue

• Posted

Hi Susan and Grammie! Yes it does get better and I agree- 3-4 months is the toughest bit! I am guessing how often you see a physio depends very much on where you live. I've never seen mine more than fortnightly and although he is wonderful, that was the initial problem for me and caused my anxiety as everytime the shoulder hurt too much, or clicked, and many other scenarios - I had no one to run it by and to find out it was perfectly normal! I have not seen my surgeon at all! Not even immediately post op! I saw a hospital physio at my 12 week check up and have an open appointment if needed. Just carrying on with the physio as I have a post op frozen shoulder - again quite common - and may take up to 12 months - but it IS getting there! I too am pleased I had the op now - even if I never regain full range of movement - which I am actually very confident I will! Thanks Grammie and good luck with your scan Susan...

Hilary.

• Posted

Oh my gosh Hilary I don't know how I would have made it not seeing the physical therapist 2 times a week. I am very lucky in that my insurance allows 75 visits a year with the therapist. He was so helpful and eased my fears. I see my surgeon next week for my final visit....yipppeeee.

• Posted

Well I think our poor NHS is struggling! But I am grateful nevertheless! All the best with your final visit Grammie!I am starting to do my full hours at work next week after a partial return and I'm glad to be doing so - had enough of all this leisure time hahaha! Take care...

• Posted

Had a Scan on Friday 9th which disappointingly shows a tear where the repair was carried out Radiologist explained the findings I will see my Surgeon once he receives the report

I was upset initially but dusted myself down ams and just have to carry on Sue

• Posted

Hang on ladies...it does get better. I am now 7 months post op. I would say my darkest days were around the 3-4 month mark. I expected to be better and to be doing more. I felt stuck, like this was it, it was never going to get better. Thank God for an amazing physical therapist. He got me focused and never stop encouraging me. The surgeon did his job, but the therapist is the person seeing you, seeing your progress and encouraging you on a weekly basis. I got over that hump and now I'm using my shoulder for everyday activities and don't even think about it. You are so right, this forum has been a lifesaver, or at least it saved my sanity. This is a rough surgery and the recovery is brutal. In the end, I can now say I am glad I did it. A year ago I was in so much pain with the slightest movement. I had no strength and no real function. Now I am looking forward to getting stronger and very thankful this part of the journey is over. Good luck to anyone starting .... don't be afraid to ask questions here, you will get an answer and you will find out you are not alone and most often everything you are feeling is normal.

• Posted

super!!! six weeks this friday. sure hope get great xrays, so i can get started with pt. know i got a long ways to go. have to admit this is a ruff surgery. i have had both knees replacement, spinal fusion and was certainly feeling better quicker than i am at this stage of healing. i am paying for my youth enjoying gymnastics ha ha! quite sure i'll get there

• Posted

Thanks Grammie I am glad that my Surgeon wants me to have a scan

Hoping that my repair is intact

if not then at I know what is what

working at the Physio and everything crossed

Sue

• Posted

I would fully endorse your sentiments regarding sanity. I felt exactly the same three years ago after RC repair. There were many nights I was so grateful to the forum when I was in total despair regarding pain. I have dipped in now and again ever since, giving my two penneth where possible, and unfortunately I think I am back in the same situation with my other shoulder. This time entirely self inflicted. I had suffered for a good couple of years with the original issue, expecting surgery to bring some relief, only to be the opposite, with very little sleep for the following months. This time, having made a point of keeping my shoulders strong by regular gym sessions and pilates, I was stupid enough to climb on the arm of a garden chair to reach something, only for it to slide away, leaving me clinging to a fence and wrenching my upper arm and shoulder. This was six weeks ago and I am due to have a scan next week, but given the amount of pain I have had, and the lack of sleep for the past few weeks, I am fearful that it is another RC issue. Looks like I will be back to the forum on a much more regular basis once again to preserve sanity. It's great to hear of your progress, and fingers crossed I will be able to report the same in due course. At least I know what to expect this time.

• Posted

Oh good luck! Yes - fore warned is fore armed - hope all goes well for you....

• Posted

i am going to attempt to keep a diary as my husband and a few friends are planning shoulder replacement and will need more information than the printed handouts given to me as i was leaving hospital. i am very happy i found this forum and feel sharing my recovery and reading how others are will prove to be helpful. not once was i told how hard it will be to just to pull your pants up or even getting your bed sheet and blanket over yourself.

• Posted

Indeed! I feel I could write a manual on the easiest ways to wash and dress! I refused any help with either - being a total control freak! My husband was allowed however to help untangle the immobilizer when I couldn't get it back on - what fun!

All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.