Had the full trigeminal pain for 8 weeks when will it go to remission!

Posted , 4 users are following.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

AT first it would back off immediately BUT after years had to either go on drugs which I hated ( they are aweful) or get a surgery which I did with good results...I now have a numb spot where it was and cant eat in front of people much cause I look like a baby eating. To me, TN is evil. i am trying to make peace with it using spiritual sources.

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

Do take heart. I have this darned complaint for more than 20 years and of course we all get desperate when we get really bad attacks. However , I've had a wonderful- almost 9 months- remission, never having had such a long remission before. I now have a new attack which has lasted 3 weeks but I've learned to try to take it as it comes. I know that we have to put our lives on hold when we suffer these attacks and that the quality f life at these times is abysmal, but it will pass. Try to bear with it, love, I'm past the age when I can do anything other than take medication, but explore every avenue and make sure you are getting all the medical attention possible. and until then wait for the coming remission . I could start tomorrow.

I'll remember you in my prayers as I do all with T.N.

Gill

• Posted

thank you Gill

the doctors have been brilliant and waiting to see Neurology and hopefully they can help me, doctors lower meds and i felt i did not want to live the pain was too much to cope with!

i have been put up more now and still in pain but just coping

• Posted

Hi Rachel, The very best of luck to you. As you probably know there are several options open to you and I'm sure that you can be helped. I've had the option mentioned by alicot and it has helped me on four occasions. Unfortunately in my case I have other health problems which and my neurosurgeon has advised no more surgical intervention. However the large majority of patients can get help and as you seem to have a great team. I'm sure that you will have good advise so I wish you the very best of luck. Love to you,

Gill

• Posted

I have no other health problems and just turned 50 years, is there any opt thats a cure ?

• Posted

Hi Rachel, The best hope of a cure is MVD ( microvascular decompression) which places a block between the nerve and the blood vessel or artery which are causing the trouble by rubbing together and wearing away the protective nerve sheath. I'm no doctor but have a friend who was completely cured. It'sa major op and not a certainty, though, so go through everything with your doctors. There are alternatives but usually they prove to be temporary. Personally I'd choose MVD in your shoes but as I mentions , I have other problems. I've had Themocoagulation ,( the one mentionrd by alicot) four times. It's a day care op and it has given me temporary relief. It does leave me with numb facial areas but is far preferable to the pain. Hope this helps,

Love to you , Gill

• Posted

yo RACHAEL! You can have a TN surgery at any age. my doc did my surgery type on a 90 year old. so there is no limit, maybe only with certain types of surgeries. mine was done with a very hot needle that went into my face to the affected nerve. all I had was a small round bandaid and took tylenol for a day or two. very low stress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.