Second TKR

Posted , 10 users are following.

Having had my first TKR last august and a text book recovery and my knee is so good,i am going in for my second TKR this month,its a catch22 situation this time i know whats coming but is that a good thing? and i keep reading no two TKR are alike,but lucily same surgeon same hospital same physio.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Same everything doesn't matter. You hope for a good result but there are zero guarantees. Let us know how it turned out.

• Posted

No guarantees at all, but disagree with you on other points,firstly well pleased i could get the same surgeon who did a great job on my first TKR and the hospital ive had four ops there and the care is top notch,im trying to take positive thoughts with me as im well aware of the road ahead.wil keep posting after the op.

• Posted

Hi Brent, I had both of mine done, a year apart, same surgeon, same hospital, Yes I knew what was coming, but for me that was a positive, I knew how to deal with it, and my first was successful as was my second one. Don't get me wrong, still had all the pain, we all do, and did the excercises. I'm so glad I had them both done. Good luck, with the right attitude I'm sure you'll do well.

• Posted

Exactly laura,im going in totally positive simply because i know who's doing the TKR and the great care i will recieve,and yes the rest is up to me ' bring it on'

• Posted

chico is right i had 6 tkr some same surgeons some not each one has been its own journey. now waiting on 7th

• Posted

you are so lucky i envy you.

my TKR was a disaster leaving me unable to walk properly. that was over two years ago and I'm now having to undergo a generic nerve block to see if that will help.

anyway I wish you all the best and hope your second knee op is just as successful.

mary

• Posted

In the same boat, having my second tomorrow. I pray we both do well!! Good luck and I'd like to hear about your journey.

• Posted

Nov 30th will be my second TKR. And am praying all goes well but they are not alike so I've been told. Good luck with yours Brent. I am as well having same doctor, same hospital same PT . 🙏🙏

• Posted

I am sure surgeons vary , as do hospitals , so I think it must make a difference . Before i had mine I asked around and found out who the nurses etc thought was good , I and happy with op and very neat job on scar , I would recommend mine to anyone . So good luck

• Posted

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your thoughts.Before my first TKR i got recommendations off quiet a few people who had TKR with this surgeon and did what research i could and it was so positive so im totally at ease to be in his hands again,no guarantees at all but i feel im giving myself the best chance of surgery success,the rest is down to me.One thing i wish i had done from my last TKR was keep a progress log.Soon be Nov16th i will keep posting good and bad ups and downs.

• Posted

Hi Brent, I too am going in for my 2nd TKR (19/11)so I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I had my first one last September at age 50, with the same surgeon in the same hospital. I would really like to say it went smoothly, but i had problems with my bend, now ok after an MUA but seems VERY clunky. Just hoping this one is easier. As you say, at least we know what to expect, rather than the unknown. Good luck & let us know how it's going.

• Posted

Certainly will sharon,and clunky is quite normal but everdently it will ease in time,i would say after nearly 15 months since my first tkr personally i have no regrets in having it done its a tough ride but my god i feel the benefit of it now on my left side,As its been said numerous times no guarantees but im very happy i know whos doing the surgery on friday.

• Posted

Good luck with everything! Had a R TKR in Aug 2018. L TKR now planned for April next year. Consultant wanted at least 6 months to get R knee stronger. Have had a good experience with my R knee but understand the rationale behind it but L knee is really painful and gives way. Even though got full range in R knee, no pain, good strength now have to use a crutch as stabiliser with knee brace on L knee. April seems a long way away! So am a tad envious of you!

• Posted

C-C April will sharp come round, being patient and waiting especially when your in so much discomfort is tough,but its all about the end game.Friday cannot come soon enough for me,even though i know whats coming and the hard road ahead,last time in was lack of sleep not pain just impossible to sleep on my back for the first 3 weeks as i always sleep on my side. In desperation last time i went to my GP and got some prescription sleeping pills and that was the best decision i made, got sleep,more energy and really progressed my recovery only used them for round about four weeks but made a massive difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.