Eye Surgery and Postural Drainage

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have BX and have been doing my postural drainage for nearly 40 years now. As my lower lobes are the most affected I tip down off the sofa putting my head on a cushion. This has worked so well for me, but as I am having cataract eye surgery later this week I have been told that I will not be able to do the drainage this way for 2 weeks, I am really worried about this. I have tried doing drainage lying on the bed, but this has never got the kind of result as with the tipping off the sofa.I take nebulised medications each day and will continue with this. Has anyone like me with severe BX had eye surgery, I would love to hear from you, also if anyone can help and advise I would love to hear from you too.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ask the nurse/doc/surgeon where they'll do procedures whether you can have your (upright) chest pounded during that first 2 weeks post-surg. If yes, line someone up to do this for you. I can reach behind and & up well enough to do this sometimes myself.

• Posted

Aitarg, thank you for your reply. You are right in making the point that it is important to keep the mucus coming up. I am good at doing my own pounding , so will keep this in mind. One day I may be able to own one of those special vests, which they say are equal to 8 pairs of hands working at the same time.

• Posted

Hi there

Firstly, I hope your eye surgery goes well, which I'm sure it will.

Have you tried a Flutter or Acapella? You can get these from the internet but you may also be able to get one from your GP. These can be used in any position, so you could sit up and use either. They help to loosen all the phlegm prior to coughing so you don't strain so much either, which will be better for you after surgery.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you dancing-queen, Yes I have thought about a flutter but not yet got one, so may be this is the time. Keeping the phlegm loose is a must so it can easily be coughed up.

• Posted

All of these suggestions, from pounding on the chest to flutter/acapella, need to be cleared with the eye surgeon. One of my aunts went blind in one eye because she disobeyed the post-surgical restrictions she was given.

• Posted

I will be making the eye surgeon aware of my situation. I will follow his advice. My Chest Clinic Doctor has given me some strong oral antibiotics to take along with my regular nebulised medication . Thank you for your concern.

• Posted

I was given a new technique for postural drainage by the physio at UCH last year, and it works really well.

You don't tip yourself upside down (she said this causes heartburn) You sit up or lay down flat.

1. Inhale through the nostrils to inflate the top of your lungs as much you can. Hold for a few seconds. Exhale slowly. Rest and repeat 5 times.
    2. Take a short sharp breath through mouth, filling the lower lungs, then sharply exhale through the mouth. Repeat 2 or 3 times. This should loosen and clear the mucus.

It works well for me, and is much easier than the other methods.

Best wishes.

John

• Posted

Hi John, I was interested to hear what you had to say and I'm going to try it today.

I had my eye surgery many weeks ago now and my lungs didn't suffer too much for the two weeks when I was unable to do the drainage in my usual way. I had my sputum cup next to me and decided that I was going to fill it to the same level as it usually is. I slumped down in the bed strait after lunch and as it was heavy on my chest it made me cough and I got quite a lot up, then many times in the day I lay on my side and used the breathing technique then got more up. It was an all day thing but it got me through.

Thanks John for taking the time to reply. Stella

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.