Has anyone on here with Mono, been worried that they have Lymphoma?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had mono since July. I have had a fever since then and still have it, though it is low grade...

I have become super worried that I have lymphoma. my oncologist sent me to get a PET scan next week, though I did some blood tests and the blood tests look good.

in July when I was diagnosed with Mono, my WBC count was way up, and since then it has gone down. My doctors think I am ok, but they aren't sure.

I am mainly worried because I have a horrible itch that started a couple months ago, and its a main symptom of lymphoma. I haven't heard of it being a symptom of mono.

I am only 21 and really worried.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

theres so many weird symptoms associated with mono try not to worry ...get yourself checked out if only to put your mind at rest . im sure you are fine.. you are young enough to get over this quickly and it sounds like your bloodwork is good . get plenty of rest eat well and loads of fluids and supplements to boost your immune system . its an horrific experience .

• Posted

Yes, I have convinced myself that I have lymphoma, all thanks to Google. All I do is sit and think about how I'm going to live my life and go to school with lymphoma as I am only 19 years old. Although, I don't have many symptoms pointing to it, I would say the only symptom is fever, I am still extremely scared. I have had mono since December and since then it has come and gone, but gotten better. But, when I start to feel bad again, I am convinced that it is Lymphoma. I have a Dr's appointment on Wednesday to get a full round of bloodwork done.

• Posted

Hi Clayton and Madison,

It's an awful experience to go through the worries and fears you have both been experiencing, just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and it's something I went through too when I had mono and something I know a lot of people go through too worrying about more serious illnesses when they google the symptoms and don't see improvement after a few months.

I do want to reassure that the symptoms you describe, the itching and the fever most definitely, can be a normal part of mono - wish it was easy to stop worrying I know. Clayton you are doing the right thing getting tests and things and please take it as reassuring that they bloodwork has been okay, almost certainly if there was anything to be concerned about some irregularities would have been picked up here - so absolutely take that as a reassuring sign.

Remember that mono is such an intense and awful virus and experience to go through, it can often trick you into feeling / thinking something else more sinister is going on when in actual fact it's not, it's just the awful intensity and longevity with the mono - and that with time you will get over this and get back to full health again. I know it's so hard not to worry, and you are doing the right thing to check in with the doctors, but please be assured that in the vast vast majority of cases people make a full recovery from mono and get over all the symptoms, even after it feeling so horrible and intense for an extended period of time.

Thinking about you and just cope with one day at a time and remember you ARE going to get better and that this is most likely just mono and nothing else going on - I truly believe that.

Craig

• Posted

And remember have done the right thing seeing the doctors and getting tests done - and don't hesitate to keep going back to them to discuss your concerns and hoping so much they can offer good advice and put your mind at rest.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.