Airport Security

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all,

Can anyone let me know if they have encountered any problems at airports following their TKR operation. Have you needed any documentation to get through security? I live in UK and haven't been abroad since my 1st op last June. Hoping to go on holiday after I have recovered from my 2nd TKR next week

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi Denise

you dont need any paper work but you will set off the security scanner . i recently flew from London City Airport and did have to be scanned additional to the normal procedure but once they verify its your knee you will be ok .

i just resigned myself to having to do this each time i fly 😃

i hope your next op goes well and you are able to fly soon

take care

Allie

• Posted

Hi,

No documentation required but be prepared to be stopped and searched everytime! enjoy your holiday x

• Posted

Hi mostly the alarm goes off and I have to walk through body scanner and remove shoes! I would rather they checked than took my word that I have had a knee replacement!

• Posted

I do a lot of flying both long and short haul and no documentation needed but I do tell security and they then give additional checks.

• Posted

I have only flown within the US, I have had no challenges. I was told they only check to see if you have something taped to your body.

Good luck with your travels, be sure to bend and flex regularly, otherwise you will stiffen up.

• Posted

Hi Denise, I had a TKR last June also...I live in Ireland...and I went to prague in December....I had a letter from my doctor just in case of any problems but I didn't need it at all....when the security lady put me to the side she was very nice no problem at all just told her I had a tkr and we laughed at the sound when she put the detected close to my knee....well done on having a second TKR so soon...I still get twangs of discomfort from my first TKR...and stiff every morning still and after sitting for a while stiff again...enjoy your trip....Rose

• Posted

Hi. I have a letter from my Surgeon that I keep with my Passport. I have had TKR on both knees. I set every alarm going as I walk through and end up going into the Body Scanner and being searched. You will get used to it. Good luck

• Posted

Get passenger assistance. Means you get help getting to gate. Also means different airport security assessment. Told security just had TKR. If using crutch then stick a sticker or ribbon on it (as I went through securty bloke with 2 crutches went through; security mixed all 3 crutches up. Luckily I had sticker on mine!) Had R TKR in Aug. Flew to Barcelona from Manchester for Christmas. Took 1 crutch as L knee playing up. Physio suggested it as additional support. Passenger assistance really helped. Wore TED socks on both legs. Did ankle pumps when flying. Had a great time away. If tired and uneven hilly surfaces used crutch as extra support. Actually allowed me to jump queues at times at museums!

Go for it...

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I think I knew what the outcome would be but I wanted to be certain. Looking forward to some sun, sand and sangria later in the year.

• Posted

Read your query with interest. Thanks for asking. I'm due to have TKR in April and airport security had never crossed my mind, I have rod and pins in my spine and that's never picked up so never thought about my knee. I had assistance at airport last time I flew because of knee pain and it is a great help. (Additional benefit is you hardly have to queue anywhere! )

• Posted

Hi I'm in the UK too. Flew to cyprus November had Mt tkr march. Yes buzzer went off explained about my knee but I also have plate on spine and foot so could've contributed to that. Went into xray machine showed scar and that was it. On my return no buzzer etc waltzed through I hassle. Enjoy your hol x

• Posted

Didn't have any problems when i flew to Greece. I did have to tell them i had a knee implant so they put me through the xray scanner. It was kind of funny because I'm 47 and was in line with people all over the age if 65 that had some type of replacement. We just started chatting about our personal experiences with the surgeries. Even the TSA's got a good chuckle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.