Advice/Help Posterior Repair Bowel Complications

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, Following on from my original post re complications from a posterior repair done 1st DEC 2018 ( bladder problems/rectal spasms), a few days later I ended up back in Hospital with a Bowel Obstruction. Horrendous experience. Blockage (caused by adhesions from multiple pelvic surgeries??) cleared by standard NG tube/IV fluids/industrial style laxative. Advised to now follow a Low Fibre Diet plus laxatives when required. Currently I am using Movicol and Docusate (both twice a day) but difficult to get the balance right. Tend to be on the constipated side and often still having to manually evacuate which I hate doing. I can feel immediately when stool is in the rectum (Hypersensitive??) but even when the rectum is really full I can't seem to push it out. Obviously I am reluctant to strain - worried I might damage the original repair. I am using the correct toilet position/step/ breathing techniques etc (I think) with no luck. Don't know whether I should up the Movicol dose to get a more liquid stool (but had an 'accident' last time I tried this) or whether there is some problem with my rectoanal coordination? Read up on line about it - suggests Biofeedback techniques. Has anybody else experienced these problems? What has worked for them? I am getting completely despondent with the whole thing - really regret having the op done in the first place.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

So sorry you're going through this. I've found eating kiwis with the skin on really help. sounds bizarre but really works! Only have 1 to start with to see how you go. I like it to because it's more natural than tons of medication. I'm not a huge fan of kiwi so i eat them when theyre firm and not so strong. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately Kiwi fruits are a big no-no for me (even without the skin) because they are high in fibre ☹

• Posted

After my posterior repair a year and a half ago, I still struggle with issues with feeling like something is there and trying to go without pushing. Here are some things I have tried.

Drinking prune juice mixed with pineapple juice, that helps, but it’s a lot of calories and I gained weight.

Taking magnesium supplements along with vitamin C works, but slowly.

I’ve tried milk of magnesia, and that can take anywhere from 3 to 12 hours to work but it does work. This has magnesium in it so please watch your magnesium intake for the day.

For me, metamucil or psyllium husk causes a near blockage so I avoid them.

Stool softeners are helpful but take forever to work.

Glycerin suppositories are a last ditch effort in case you need them but they work fast and effectively every time. Generics do not work the same as the namebrand.

Doctors should warn patients of all the issues that could occur after these surgeries but of course mine did not.

• Posted

Thank you for all your suggestions. I might give the prune/pineapple juice one a try...although prune juice is one of the things they say not to have on my low fibre diet sheet. I already take Vit C and a stool softener (Docusate) but I haven't tried any of the Magnesium products before. I thought the same as you about the Psyllium husks and I totally agree with your last comment - I certainly wasn't told anything about Bowel Obstruction being a possible complication of my surgery, particularly as I only had it done vaginally this time. Laparoscopic pelvic surgery was done in April.

• Posted

It does take time and patience to get the balance right. It seems as though the bowel has "forgotten" how to contract naturally. So have to find what works for you. A glycerin suppository is an immediate fix but this should only be used occasionally.

I am now a year and a half post posterior surgery and nine months after anterior repair and still using Movicol at night and occasionally magnesium citrate mid day. It does get better with time and I am feeling almost back to normal. I try to drink lots of fluids and eat lots of fruit which helps Most days I am regular and it feels right but some days just doesn't want to move and then I use a suppository. it's better than feeling uncomfortable all day. so have more or less got it right.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply - it gives me a bit of hope that things will eventually get better. I am now 8wks post op but because I had the 2 complications following surgery I know realistically it is going to take me much longer to recover than normal.

• Posted

Hi Julia.you poor thing what an horrendous experience you've had and still having.I have found my experience so frustrating and depressing.I had posterior rectoenterocele ssf just over 6 months ago.nothing compared to what you're having to deal with.I'm only now having semi normal BMs I tried all sorts. It does take time to see what works for you.I still take one docusate at night .if things start to get uncomfortable I take one in morning as well.I also have occasions when I need to have glycerine suppository.not necessarily a whole one.just enough to stimulate the muscle. As it is going to take a while to get back to some where near normal I was given the ok by my GP.to do this, it's better than having to STRAIN. But please be assured it will improve.I'm glad now I've had the op.I eat more healthier now which has helped the recovery.take care Julia.keep in touch with the forum.xx

• Posted

just to to add Julia you said you are positioning yourself, does that mean you're using what they call a squatty potty.if not I would recommend you getting one or a similar thing . It's been so helpful to me, it encourages the bowel to regain its rightful position,I suppose your training it to do so.all the best Julia.x

• Posted

Also the very effective breathing technique.you can find on line.prevents any straining.

• Posted

i also have had severe bowel problems after a posterior and anterior repair done march 2018. i am still suffering but have found that taking buscapan has really helped me with bowel spasms, and the urge to empty but nothing coming out. dunno if it is something you have tried but after a year of trying natural treatments and several laxatives, this has defo been the best for me.

• Posted

i also have had severe bowel problems after a posterior and anterior repair done march 2018. i am still suffering but have found that taking buscapan has really helped me with bowel spasms, and the urge to empty but nothing coming out. dunno if it is something you have tried but after a year of trying natural treatments and several laxatives, this has defo been the best for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.