Snapping, clicking in my knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my left knee replaced in Oct. 2018. In the last month (2 mos post op), my knee has been clicking with every step,and even wakes me in the night when I roll over.

My ortho tells me everything is great, but this is driving me crazy, and I am depressed to think I will have to put up with this for the rest of my life!

Has anyone else experienced this!?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

fran

3 years plus since my left knee replaced

clicking is with you forever bud in my experience forget about it after a while Doctor did advise me of this

i deal with night wakenings by placing pillow between my knees does the trick most of the times

hope this helps

regards

pete

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Pete

I have been doing an informal survey, as I have many friends who have had knee replacements. Apparently this clicking is pretty rare as I have spoken to about 10 people I know of with knee replacements, and none of them are experiencing this. I have googled it extensively and find that it is an Issue for some people. Yes we are just smong the lucky ones....

• Posted

My knee sometimes feels as if it's clicking; I'm 12 days post op. I mentioned it to the physio before I was discharged and told that it was nothing to worry about if it didn't hurt. I'm hoping that it will go as the knee gets stronger. Strangely, if I do have pain, there is no click. Did they say what was causing it?

• Posted

i am 8 months post op left tkr and i wish i would f never done it. just had fluid taken to check for infection, there is none, everything is where it should be, but th swelling is twice the size it should be and i click so loud others in another room can hear it! AND IT HURTS! so they put me on meloxicam for swelling. surgeon says he might have to go in arthroscopically and remove excess scar tissue ( still thinking about that.) my rheumatologist says since i have so many autoimmune diseases i may never get back to normal. it is a foreign object and my body naturally fights it. sure wish they would of told me this BEFORE I HAD THE SURGERY. it hurts more now then before i had ot done....isn't that sad for a very active 62 year old gramma? I will just keep on going, cannot seem to do anything else. i hope your knee gets better with more time.

• Posted

I am 63 year old Gramma and I know what you mean....had right knee done in August, had a manipulation to break up scar tissue the end of December. Still hurts, although it bends better....constant tendon clicking sound when I walk...sheesh.

• Posted

That sounds miserable Gramma. I was given statistics by one of the surgeons who said 15% of patients will have problems, be no better off, and 5% will wish they had never had it done. We all hope we won't be one of those statistics, but I don't know if there are any factors that make any one patient more at risk. I hope there is a positive outcome for you. Take care.

• Posted

yes but it's normal....took around a year for mine to stop. I miss the sound now!

• Posted

Hope mine stops! Thanks for the encouragement!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.