Successful surgery YESTERDAY

Posted , 11 users are following.

Had my TKR (right leg) yesterday afternoon. A complete success.

One of the funniest things that has happened (so far) had to do with the spinal anesthesia I had. My thighs were still numb until late into the evening. The numbed area included my lady bits. When I adjusted myself on the bed (exertion) I felt something warm in my lower region. Yep seems I needed to urinate and had no idea and no idea I was doing it. It was actually pretty funny (twice)

All numbness in those areas were gone sometime overnight.

I 've had two hip replacements and now my knee - I am surprised how easy it is to get in and out of bed with the TKR. Though at this point I am fairly certain the actual incision and surrounding area is still numb - I'm going to enjoy this while I can LOL.

Physical Therapy will come by later today but I have tried to do some of the exercises I had to do at home over the last month (not so easy).

Happy Tuesday everyone

PS wow the are sending me home with an "Iceman" machine - I'd never heard of or seen one of these. There is a small chest with icewater in it and motor that is attached to a chilled pad that continuously stays cold on your knee. Very cool !!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

yes I had the same thing I peed in my bed the first night after the TKR didnt happened with the first ones either anyway the "iceman" is awesome!! hope you'll have a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Good morning Kebra,

I hope you are doing well. I had a TKR in 2015 and I tell you, i wish i never did. Im having more problems with this knee than I did before the surgery. I had to get some xrays on it just because i thought something had moved out of place. The doctor told me it was just arthritis. I can't sleep alot of nights because of pain. I can't do alot of mt chores without pain, no gardening wish i love to do, no running, and it's hell trying to go up and downstairs. This is my right knee and I also have arthritis in my left knee as well. I pray that your healing is better than mine was.

Sincerely,

Lisa

• Posted

a friends wife had a similar problem had to get a revision as the glue used was not holding the titanium in place. I would get a second opinion

• Posted

Very best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

• Posted

I also had a epidural anesthesia and after surgery I asked the nurse if I had a catheter and he responded by saying that no I did not have a catheter. The nurse did however tell me that I am back in my early childhood time because I was wearing a nappy and there was no need to worry because I would not even know if I urinated. I was mortified and my immediate reaction was to tighten my pelvic floor muscle. My brain said tighten but I could not do it. I touched my leg and and could not feel my hand on my leg. It was a strange experience.

I was given some twilight sedation before the surgery but I was aware and could hear the sawing and tapping during the surgery.

It has been 12 weeks since my surgery and I am told that I am doing well.

Good luck with your recovery .

Keep in touch with this group. It has helped me so much.

• Posted

Good to hear you are doing so well. I had a spinal and for the few hours couldnt urinate so they drained my bladder and then put a portable pottie by the bed. The next day physio took it away. I could hear the noises happening during my surgery.

• Posted

Ha ha peeing the bed, yip ive had two TKR with spinal injections and pee'd without realising evertime.The nurse got me out of the bed as the spinal hadn't worn off my man parts after 8 hours and my back was aching so much with being laid down,anyway were walking around the room the nurse has hold of my arm and neither of us realised i was peeing all over the floor as were walking about all we could do was laugh about it even she said 'thats a first' First TKR 19 months ago 2nd TKR 4 months ago both been brilliant best thing i did.Back at work now still a bit of swelling on my 2nd and stiff first thing but its given me my life back,working, dog walking,and GOLFING happy days.

• Posted

I love my ice machine and used it for both TKR recoveries. A helpful tip to make it less work- we use frozen bottles of water instead of ice cubes to keep the water cold. a lot less messing around when you need it colder. we just kept about a dozen small bottles in the freezer and once they melted we swaped those out for frozen ones mine fit about 6 small bottles at a time). much easier and less messy than using bags of ice. I wish you a very successful recovery.

• Posted

enjoy the drugs and numbness and long may the positive vibes last

• Posted

Kebra you must be on some good drugs. NEVER have I ever heard anytime be so positive and pain free in the first day. And the word pain wasn't even in your note, so happy for you. Please write back and let us know how you are doing.. I am just over 8 weeks and still having knee, calf, thigh, pain and numbness all around the incision. Pain meds they gave me are a joke. Still can't bend my knee or drive. BUT the one saving grace is the ice cooler. Instead of buying ice every day for it that melts, I use frozen water bottles. I can get 3 in my cooler, and it stays so cold for several hours. Then just replace the frozen water bottles and you are good to go. Just be sure you don't over fill the water line. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Purple lover....Do you still have pain meds? When i left the hospital my surgeon only gave me a prescription for 50. With much pleading at 10 days he gave me 20 more.Doctors are so concerned about addiction that i feel I've felt more pain than i did with my first TKR? At each visit i was asked if i needed more pain meds with my first surgery.

• Posted

Purple - you hit the nail on the head about the GOOD DRUGS because now 5 days later I can say this is the hardiest thing I have ever done. I tell my family this is hell on earth. There's no longshoreman who's got anything on my swearing abilities. LOL Yes, I remain positive just in pain now at the same time.

I also use the bottles of water now and it is much easier. I live alone so I'm able to put the four bottles in my walker apron.

The only truly comfortable place for me is my bed so I spend a great deal of time here - last night I even put a blow up mattress in the living room (not as comfortable but better than the couch). Like most of you getting in and out of bed is a real $*^@#$##@!&&.

Seems there is no way out of this but through hard hard work. Thankfully I am in very good shape physically so I continue to tell myself "you can do this, you can do this YOU CAN DO THIS" and then I collapse.

Happy Saturday y'all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.