Abnormal liver tests

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been referred to the hospital to have lover screenings and scans done due to my liver coming back as high. He looked at previous tests and it's been like it for a few years but getting higher.

Last year I developed a huge rash that looks like hives. And ever since I have really bad itchy skin, especially at night. I take antihistamines to stop the rashes from breaking out.

I also have autoimmune hashimotos, so I'm freaking out about liver disease. Is the autoimmune one a killer?? I've read you live on average 10 years after diagnoses..

I have health anxiety so this has really knocked me back. All I've got in my head is cancer or liver failure

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi - Your message spoke to me because I sent a similar one 18 months ago. First, it is easier said than done not to panic - but please know that it is good to find out what is going on.

Second, if you are diagnosed with liver disease - which is not yet a done deal - the current research and outcomes are a lot different from even a few years ago.

I was ultimately diagnosed with PBC and had the good fortune to live close to the Mayo Clinic, where I was seen by someone who has worked in this area for 40 (!) years. Quite simply, patient outcomes are now very different when diagnosed and treated early, thanks to research and medication that is relatively new. Specifically, I was told by someone who sees this condition many, many times that while I may eventually die with PBC, I wouldn't die FROM it.

Even now, there is more research being done, so it is a fact that the common knowledge is somewhat inaccurate. Hang in there and be comforted that you are in good hands - and if your provider doesn't have experience with whatever condition you are concerned about (even if you aren't diagnosed with it, which is still a possibility) - you can find someone who does.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! I have had a text this morning saying I've got an appointment next Sunday with radiology. I feel like that's come through really quick. Less than 2 weeks and I've already got one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.