Yellow stool

Posted , 5 users are following.

does anyone suffer from constant yellow stool ?

i suffer high anxiety and every bowel movement is yellow which is very concerning and adds to my anxiety

ive had an ultrasound of gallbladder no stones aparantly had colonoscopy all normal i dont know what to do anymore im so scared

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Is it anything your eating??

• Posted

no i dont think so ive not changed my diet in the last few years and its constantly yellow not just sometimes

• Posted

also theres mucus through it and undigested food it looks like everytime also

• Posted

It could be a number of things. Crohns disease , celiac disease or even ibs. All these things can cause this. Insist on more testing, but try not to worry. All these things can be helped with medication x

• Posted

my dr said he thinks its ibs but because its constant its concerning

• Posted

Hi,I don't know how anxiety affects your bowels but if your food passes rapidly through your digestive track,it can be yellow,as in irritable bowel syndrome with anxiety. My friend had orangeish colored stool for a year,neither the gastroenterologist or their family dr. thought a thing of it. They were told it was IBS. They now have normal bowel movements again. Go to a gastro Dr and tell them,bet you are fine.

• Edited

Hi Carl,

This is what was explained to me by my GP and a Therapist when I had the same issue:

The quicker your stool passes through your digestive system, the paler it becomes, as it hasn't had enough time absorb nutrients in the gut that would usually make it a darker colour.

When you're anxious, your body enters 'fight or flight' mode, and a number of processes occur inside the body to help prepare you for the perceived threat. Contractions in the large intestine speed up thanks to the stress hormones which are released, which causes stool to pass through your body quicker. This is what makes it yellow.

The other main cause of yellow stool is problems with the gallbladder, liver, or pancreas, but as you've already tests to rule these out, I'd say there's no need to worry and your issue is likely just caused by anxiety/stress.

If the issue is causing you extra anxiety, then you're probably stuck in a vicious cycle and making the problem worse by worrying about it.

• Posted

its definitely concerning and i think about it 24/7 its so hard not to with my health anxiety

• Posted

i know, it's really hard not to think about it. have you tried medication such as Imodium to slow your digestion down and see if that helps?

mine was like this for months whilst my anxiety was really bad and still happens occasionally now

• Posted

I may only add on that and the tests for gallbladder, liver, or pancreas should be looked at in detail as well as maybe looking at B12 levels

As age increases sometimes pernicious anaemia creeps in and we have to take 3 monthly injections of vitamin B12a or hydroxycobalamin . Again the above blood tests should identify your red blood count and the loss of intrinsic factor (IF) from nodes in your stomach ( geographical tongue notwithstanding !) means one needs to take hydroxycobalamin for life!

I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.