Swelling and pain following PT

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am so grateful to be a part of this forum in order to share the experiences of others who are traveling the long journey of recovering from TNR. I have posted how discouraged I am with slow progress, severe swelling, and lots of pain five weeks out from surgery. I had PT 2 days ago, and therapist worked hard on extension and range of motion. It was painful, but we made progress. Even did well on exercise bike (first time) and another strengthening machine. Heat applied instead of ice at end of session. The next morning knee was even more swollen and painful than before therapy. A bit better today. Is this a normal result of therapy ? I am gaining extension and Range of motion, but pay dearly for it in the days following. I would appreciate input. I am working hard to hang in on the journey! It helps to know if others have had similar experiences and made it through!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I started physio once a week at 6 weeks. My knee swells and is more uncomfortable after physiotherapy, but not a huge amount.. My PT advised not to do anything that caused pain, discomfort is OK she said and advised to ice and elevate immediately after physio for a minimum 30 minutes. She also said to do some exercises and stretches every day, but not as much if the knee keeps swelling and is painful. If it's very swollen it's likely to affect your ROM, so maybe rest and ice for a couple of days.

• Posted

hi, im now on day 5 from my second total replacement, and having gone through hell the first time around, im already pushing myself to the limits this week.

my experience says no pain no gain, exercise is so important and push as far as you can possibly go, but just remember that the rest and ice is just as important in recovering, find that balance and keep pushing yourself.

enjoy the emotional rollercoaster and good luck with a speedy recovery

• Posted

Marylyn,five weeks out is still really early on your recovery road and everything is still tender, you need to listen to your body dont over do it as your knee will balloon, i know its easier said than done but patience is vital the exercise bike will help loads so take it easy if your having a bad knee day, you cannot rush this recovery everything will come good in time youll see

• Posted

Yup...yup...and more yup... Try taking some pain meds 1 hour before PT to ease the pain of the session. If it's an opioid DON'T DRIVE!!! Have someone take you. Or you can do 800 mg ibuprofen and drive yourself. The first 12 weeks are the worst. The pain, swelling and PT for the ROM. But it all pays off. Try these at home...#3 is guaranteed to straighten your leg to zero degrees...

ROM at Home

My PT did this with me in a session. AGONY!!! ...and it's just gravity. I finished PT at week 12 at -1 / +123. Kept working on it at home to get 0 / +133. That's as far as I'd ever take it. No one knows the max range of these devices so 120-135 should be a maximum safe range. Forget about sitting on your heels again...that's +161 and I would never go that far.

PS: Swelling will get better very, very slowly over time. Even at a year, I could still see a slight difference in knee size. At three years, nothing. Also, if you push the knee too far on any given day, you will absolutely get "balloon knee". Back off, ice, elevate. Always count STEPS, not distance or time. Get a fit bit or similar and chart your steps. Increase gradually and you will see your progress. At 8 months, I was doing 11,000 steps a day with no consequences. Time, work and patience are your tools.

• Posted

Dont be a coward like me. Go for it,especially the range of motion. NOW is the time.

Good luck

Mike

• Posted

I did very little physio after surgery , just gentle and concentrated on bending and straightening , I think some physios are too aggressive and then you get excessive swelling which then results in not being able to bend knee etc . Dont let a physio overdo it, I got full movement without excessive forcing , my knee was so painful up to about 6-7 weeks post op I couldnt stand anyone touching it , went on nerve pain pills that really helped so I could at least massage it then . I found water aerobics helped . Just go slowly, if your knee is very sore and swollen after physio then you are overdoing it , thats just my opinion , others may disagree . But at 5 weeks all you are feeling is normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.