any advice please? upper abdominal pain, chest and back pain.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm basically in pain everyday.

I burp a lot and get pain in my upper abdomen, down my flanks and upper back mostly. Although some times I get pain in the left hand side of my chest.

I had endoscope last august and which showed I had gastritis.

The gastroenterologist put me on upped my dosage of ppi to 40mg Esomeprazole (up from 20mg) but since then i have had no improvement in fact it got a lot worse over the winter. Worse pain of my life. I have since started eating every hour and mainly eat plain rice for dinner which is helping me managed it but its still always there. i get heartburn drinking water sometimes. It seems to get worse as the day goes on.

Does anyone have any advice?

Living me this everyday is very hard. I'm not sure if the 40mg is helping. I never had heartburn before in my life before last year .

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Also, to add.

I have also been referred for a PH test, i have read that that for that you need stop the ppi for seven days before the test? I'm very worried that is going to absolutely cripple me just coming off them cold turkey like that.

• Posted

What you described appear to be basic if you suffer from gerd. Since you have had am endoscopy and it appears there is no carcinogrnic tissue found, the worst is not to be feared. Please observe the basic lifestyle changes like sleeping inclined to prevent frequent reflux especially at night. Eat smaller meals more often. Stay up for at least 3 hours after last meal. Try and lose weight if overweight. Avoid trigger foods which you will be able to identify with careful study of how you feel after each meal over some weeks. Introduce a teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar at night after your last meals as these things are more frequently from lack of acid rather than an excess of it. As for the fear of stopping the PPI for a while for your test, I felt that way too but it was not as bad as I thought. Good luck.

• Posted

thanks for your reply.

i stay up for atleast 4 hours after eating, i do sleep with a wedged pillow, i eat small meals (no higher than 400 cals), i am underweight and i tried apple cider vinegar in the past but it didnt do anything , i eat a very bland diet.

not sure where to go from here?

• Posted

I HAVE PAIN EVERY DAY IN FACT EVERY TIME I EAT ANYTHING PAIN STARTS. EATING SMALLEr MEALS MORE OFTEN AND AVOIDING CERTAIN FOODS. RECENTLY BEEN ADVISED TO TAKE HIGHER DOSE O EPRAZOLE 80mg BUT NOT HELPING? WAS ALSO DIAGNOSED WITH GASTRITIS LATE LAST YEAR? GP SAID SHOULD KEEP TAKING OMEPRAZOLE AS YOU HAVE TO KEEP ON TOP OF CONDITION? TAKING GAVISCON STRAIGHTAFTER ANY FOOD DOES HELP. GP SUGGESTED THIS? EVEN THO NOT SURE O EPRAZOLE NOT HELPING THINK ITMUST DO AS IT SUPPOSED TO HELP WITH ACID?

• Posted

I would recommend probiotics. For conditions like gastritis, GERD, IBS, probiotics can be a great way to get some relief and help to resolve these conditions. Probiotics are basically good bacteria which help to support digestion, urinary tract and overall gut health. Their presence in our system is crucial as they help to fight off bad bacteria and boost overall well being.

Probiotics are found in yogurts, kefir, fermented milk, kombucha and some supplements. One of the best supplements I can recommend for you is Flourish Probiotics by Eu Natural. Made completely from healthy bacteria, it is targeted specifically at improving digestion and supporting gut health.

Also make sure you are drinking lots of water and stay away from chili.

Good Luck

• Posted

interesting reply. i am definitely going to give it a try. Have heard of probiotics being good but not easy to find. Will look on line and see who stocks these items.

Will let you know if it is helpful

Manythanks

• Posted

thank you for your replies!

I have around 65g of Total Greek yoghurt everyday. It says this contains probiotics.

I used to be on the fodmap diet for general IBS but wasn't really seeing any results so i gave up on. not sure if it helps with what I have now.

my symptoms seem to get worse as the day progresses.

I am pretty unwilling to on a even higher does of Esomeprazole, plus the Dr has told me 40mg is the maximum does.

I will definetly stay away from chill! like i said all i eat for dinner is plain boiled rice with some kind of protein.

It's so draining living everyday in pain, especially when there is no end insight. It is right between my shoulder blades atm and of course I'm burping a lot .

• Posted

See my reply below but I agree with Stephen probiotics really help they take a couple of weeks to get into system and kefir is far better than Greek yoghurt. I have had this for most of my life and you do learn to live with it. Also PPI takes weeks of consistently regular use to really work so try the higher dose and give it time.

• Posted

I too have bad pain across chest and around ribs, not in the back so much. Can't believe acid can do this especially as I don't get the usual burning. I had been on esomeprazole for 15 years and it had started to burn my stomach so has been changed. Eso is the strongest. Not all PPI are the same and it may be that you need to try a different one. They all do the same thing but some are harsher on your stomach since changing I have less pain but still there. I am not sure it ever really goes I think you just get used to it. I drink kefir which if you are in UK you can get in supermarkets and also take ranitidine sometimes. PPI stops acid production. Ranitidine (zantac) soaks up the acid so can be taken together as do different things worth a try

• Posted

I've started having activa yoghurts in the evenings as as the greek yoghurt at lunch.

Is it safe to have more probiotics will taking PPI's?

My symtoms have flared up in the last few days. quite painful

I have been taking 40mg of esomeprazole since last october.

• Posted

do i just have to except its not going to get better no matter what i do because my LOS doesn't work/close properly anymore ?

its been like this a year now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.