Switched from Elavil to Zoloft

Posted , 3 users are following.

So my doctor switched me from Amitriptyline (Elavil) to Sertraline (Zoloft) and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience going from that type of Anti depressant to an SSRI. I was on the Amitriptyline 10mg for 6 months and she told me I'd be fine to just start taking the Sertraline right away. Now I'm having alot of dizziness and brain fog 😦

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you can either have withdrawal from amitryptiline or side effects from Zoloft. First few days on Zoloft were hell for me, brain fog, dizziness, anxiety, racing thoughts, nausea etc. Im on day 13 and its getting better. I dont agree with your doctor taking you off amitryptiline cold turkey, you should always taper medications first. And amitryptiline is a different group of Antidepressants than Zoloft. I was on mirtazapine smallest dose for 3 months and doctor took me off it cold turkey and I had really bad withdrawal. I know its not the same medications but it shows you that you can experience withdrawal from being on meds for just short period of time x

• Posted

Thank you! That's actually exactly what I'm experiencing. I mean, I feel like that all the time anyways, with my anxiety but it's like been super bad now. Hopefully it'll get better soon and I hope you get to feeling better also! I've heard pretty good things about Zoloft so I'm hoping it works!

• Posted

Yes, it will pass. It always gets worse before it gets better 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.