Advice for my first every Psychology appointment?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So in a few days I'm gonna be going to my first appointment with the Psychologist.

I'm 23, and I've had anxiety pretty much since I can remember. It wasn't until after I had my daughter a year ago, that I fell into a bad Post Partum depression and my anxiety just got 10xs worse. Luckily, the depression fades but I still feel the awful physical symptoms of it and I'm ofcourse overwhelmed with Anxiety and Panic each day. Yes, its exhausting. I'm a little nervous because I dont know what to expect because I've never talked to anyone about my anxiety issues.. can anyone give me an idea of what to expect on this visit?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you’re suffering so much from anxiety. Your psychologist only administers medication. Initially he will probably talk to you about the issues that you have but after that you’re going to be spending 15 minutes with him every time you goi to get your medication. I come from a family of people that have suffered from anxiety and mental depression. That’s about 60 years of my life. So, make sure you’re going to a Highly recommended psychologist and look for a really good therapist.

• Posted

I made a mistake in my reply. Psychologist is like a therapist --psychiatrist administers drugs. Sometimes I make mistakes with words Being that I’m 73 years old.

• Posted

Thanks! I'm currently on Zoloft. I've been through just about every one of them to find the right one..

• Posted

Yes....Psychiatrist administers meds. Psychologist is therapist........Psychiatrist can be, too, but Psychologist is more likely to go for shorter-term therapy and CBT. ( Cognitive Behavioral Therapy).

Just be honest and open. Don't sugar-coat anything.

Good luck !

• Posted

I'm seeing a counsellor /psychologist today and I am on pregabalin for anxiety,Ive see one before and they did help me through a rough time ,as long as your totally open and honest about exactly what you feel then it should work for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.