I’ve been given Gabapentin 300mg to take 4 x a day

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does the Gabapentin really help with the pain!

?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Alone, it did nothing for me. With Ultracet and/or tylenol, it was great. I have a friend who loves Gab for his back nerve pain, but he's on about 2500 mg daily AND Percocet. I have my doubts that this drug really is the best option, but that's just my personal experience. I had to stop taking it when it reduced my kidney function, and I can't say I notice the difference without it.

• Posted

they do help for pain you have to work out if the pain is good enough to warrant taking them, stick to normal codeine phosphate and paracitimal gabapentin are not an opioid but they are hard to kick as your brain chemistry they work on, lots do get on with them for back pain, had a reaction to them so i would be on them if i didnt , i find Amatriptyline good for nerve pain well they help me sleep. stop the tingling in feet .but, if you have the pain nerve pain then people can moan about the medication there on and if its hard to get of it but pain is pain and quality of life has to be put into the equation if they improve your quality of life then are they a bad pill.

• Posted

Most people feel it doesn't help much and the side effects are so bad, they don't want to use it. i gave a more detailed reply in your other thread. It's an anti-seizure drug and disrupts the brain, preventing the neurons and synapses from working properly.

• Posted

The Drs. insist I take it. It makes me super sleepy and tired.

• Posted

Tell the doctor it's your body and your life. Gab seldom helps to any degree with pain, it's an epilepsy drug that had some moderate success in some people with shingles or small nerve diabetic neuropathy. But the side effects and withdrawal as we taper make it a poor choice.

• Posted

I found it did make a bit of difference with the pain and stiffness but it made me feel so odd and anxious that I stopped and was put on pregabelin but I have not take it yet

• Posted

lots,

how long were you on it and how much did you take. was it hard to come off?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.