Glandular Fever

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, i have suspected glandular fever am awaiting blood test results but two different doctors have said they think its probably gf. My symptoms started around 2/3 weeks ago when i had the worst sore throat id ever experienced so i went to the doctors and they gave me antibiotics, these kind of made it better but then the sore throat came back again. I carried on as normal and i had a night out clubbing planned so i went and the next morning i felt HORRENDOUS. I could not swallow i was in so much pain and i could barely walk my whole body was aching, but of course i put it all down to a hangover. I had work the next day and throughout the day i knew something wasn't quite right because i began to feel so tired that i just wanted to lie on the floor lol. The sore throat didnt go away so i went back to my doctors who felt some glands were up in my neck and suggested a test for glandular fever. I went to get the test done and went to work that day and again i felt awful with a sore throat, chills, achey body and headache. it got to about 8 that night and my friend suggested we go to a&e so we went and they took some bloods which came back fine (just the usual cbc) and then the doctor called me in to check my throat and said it all looks fine its just red and then went on to ask if i had been out clubbing/kissing anyone, which i then realised i have done a hell of a lot recently  so he then also said he thinks its glandular fever so i am now just waiting for test results to confirm. Recently i have just felt soo tired like i could sleep for 12 hours and still wake up tired and i have no energy what so ever.

just wanted to share my story to see if it sounded similar to anyone elses and to ask if it sounds like i have mono to any of you??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paige. I haven't had any tests yet but plan on going to the doctor next week. I think I MAY have GF.

I was around my friend and her toddler about 10 days before they had symptoms. about 5 weeks later I started getting hot flushes, dizziness and then severe fatigue. I had a sore throat just in the morning for a couple of days (I don't have any tonsils). the severe fatigue lasted weeks. I also had weird pains in my lymph nodes on the front of my neck. then I got a sore throat again. I've also had headaches and muscle pain.

which lymph nodes of yours are swollen?

• Posted

I have some swollen lymph nodes around my jaw and had them in my neck about a week ago, i also sometimes get pains in my armpits too

• Posted

I just pray you have an easier version than some of us. I have had it since October/November of 18 and i still feel tired with many symptoms. You will get through it though just have some patience and faith.

• Posted

Hi Paige,

So sorry to hear you've been feeling so unwell these past few weeks, I do hope so much that things can settle and you feel much better soon. You've done the right thing going to get the blood tests for glandular fever, it certainly could be given the symptoms you describe the real fatigue and some throat and just feeling generally unwell - but again don't jump to conclusions just wait and see what the test shows first.

If it is glandular fever just want to reassure you that you will get through it and get better again. I really empathising having went through a tough time with the virus a number of years ago. I really felt awful and was so drained and fatigued, and it affected me mentally and emotionally as well as physically. But it does get better Paige, it can be a stubborn virus and linger a bit before full recovery but don't panic if that is the case because you will get better.

Definitely it's so important just to look after yourself, rest as much as possible, drink plenty of fluids, eat healthily, and remove stress as much as possible. I had to take an extended time out of work and if you need to do that please do Paige if it's mono, this virus is not just like a normal cold or flu it where you can try to push through, it really needs you to rest properly and to give your body time and space to recover - which with a little time it will!

So just want to encourage you that if the test does show glandular fever, hang in there and just look after yourself and remember that with some time and rest that you will get better. Taking vitamins and herbs helped me a lot during recovery as well, a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra here in the UK), a B100 complex vitamin per day and / or Co-enzyme Q10 (great for nervous system and energy levels) , higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseing and echinacea. But of course I'm no doctor or expert, it's so important to check for any interactions with other conditions / medication before starting any supplements, and to check with an expert, a doctor or herbalist, is always a good idea too.

Hang in there Paige, let us know how the test results go and message any time - it's a great and very supportive forum here and a lot of people on here with good advice and encouragement to help folks going through glandular fever - thinking about you and believing that you are going to get through this and back to full health again with a bit of time, whether it is glandular fever or another similar type thing.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.