Stressing and flaring

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

Ive been on PMR train for 4 years with 2 flares. 2 weeks ago I was down to 5 mg in my latest taper -- Ive never taken more than 15 mg and then only at the initial inset and my first flare. Im experiencing a lot of stress due to a crucial set of exams - next week I take the final three. Ive developed severe inflammation and stiffness in both knees in the past month, with increasing exhaustion. The closer I get to my next set of exams the worse the anxiety gets. Its like the knees, the anxiety, and the exhaustion are increasing at the same pace. So this morning I went from 10 to 15 mg to see if it would make a dent. It didnt. Since the anxiety and the PMR effects in the knees are evidently coorelated, I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried addressing a stress-related flare from the 'other' side -- that is through short term use of ativan or some other anxiolytic. Id be grateful to hear of any your experiences. Thx!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Others will come along with good advice. My own take on it is that you need more than one day's dosage to bring you relief. In view of the exams I'd continue for at least three more days at 15mgs, or as long as it takes, to wipe out the inflammation that's causing the trouble. You can then drop to 10mgs and start a slow taper after the exams! Hang in there and good luck. Deep breaths x

• Posted

my knees are in the worst flare dont know what to do have a doc appt thursday its a long time away with this much pain hardly able to walk taking 10 mg pred snd 300 mg lycia nothing working any ideas

• Posted

What are you taking the lyrica for? I assume that is what you meant by lycia.

• Posted

to ease the pain at night and my legs dont dance at l night it keeps them wuiey

• Posted

You'll probably get a bigger response on the healthunlocked site. Google it as I may not be allowed a hotlink . There's a great group over there.

• Posted

My hotlink has been deleted. I really appreciated this site and would not have thought of trying to find another one. Unfortunately the lack of automated punctuation makes it too laborious to write at any length. So sad. I keep an eye on this site but have found easy communication and more responses on healthunlocked.

• Posted

Hi Harriet. You can send links by the private messaging service on this site I believe. Click on the envelope icon next to the picture or name of the person you wish to message at top of page on the left side. Make sure your account is set up for private messaging on the your account page first. If not you must tick allow private messaging. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Celia,

I did follow your advice on both counts. The 15 mg was an improvement and I also tried health unlocked which was also helpful, including references to papers and a recent, relevant book. Once the exams are over, I'll get my blood levels checked and take it from there.

Many thanks!

H

ps: breathing helps too 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.