Knee replacement

Posted , 15 users are following.

hi i am

due for my knee replacement surgery on the 9th of july i was just wanting some advice really

of what i can expect ???

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Do your exercises before your surgery to build up your leg muscles. I made meals in advance and froze them.TKR is not an easy surgery. I would suggest that you read some of the postings. Good luck...I hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

hi what im about to tell you please let it put you off.

your knee will be swollen , stiff and painful to start with and you will need plenty of painkillers. you will also need to ice your knee frequently to help with the swelling .

exercise is very important to keep the knee working.

i had my tkr 7 weeks ago and doing very well. remember everyones healing is different so dont compare what ever you do. your knee will tell you when youve done enough. rest is very important.

at first i thought what have i done but now its worth all the pain and discomfort.

i wish you all the best.

• Posted

Click on my name, then on "Discussions" over on the right side, and then "View All". I have about 30 discussions out there on all sorts of topics. In general:

1. Your doctor has probably told you little or nothing of what to expect. If he/she has told you a bit or two, it's probably waaaaay over optimistic.
    2. Give up ALL your expectations regarding your recovery. For virtually all of us, the first 30 days are pure hell (lots of pain, no sleep, depression, etc.), followed by another two months (3 total) of getting your ROM back. After that, it's a slow, gradual recovery taking around a year in total. Very few travel a different road.
    3. Do NOT compare your recovery to that of anyone else. "I thought I would be better at this point..." is based purely on expectations and what some other lucky people have found. Don't do this. Listen to the knee. Own your recovery.
    4. Time, work and patience are your tools. Use them to full advantage. Treat yourself well. With no expectations, you are free from time burdens and depression (Jedi Mind Trick...see my discussion on that topic). Time will pass, you will get better and then dance at your one year ann-knee-versary party.
    5. You CANNOT push a knee like you can a hip or shoulder. When you do, the knee will sit there, laugh at you and blow up to the size of a balloon. Do this once and learn the lesson. Slow and steady.
    6. Eat well and hydrate a lot. Get off the opioids by 90 days max, if possible, use lots of ice and relax. It just takes time... Yes, you will have things like swelling, stiffness, clunking noises and more but they go away so very slowly as to be imperceptible. One day, you'll realize that you can't remember the last time you felt them. That's a "light bulb" moment.
    7. The ROM work at the beginning is hard, sometimes painful, but absolutely critical. After that, the rest of year 1 is taken up rebuilding all the atrophied muscles that support the knee. This is also critical and cannot be skipped. As you progress, you will walk correctly, regain your balance and be able to do stairs normally again somewhere down the road. Gotta do the work to get the results.
    8. In the end, it's all so very worth it. At 3+ years post-op, I don't even think about the knee anymore. Be strong and determined...give it time...
  • Posted

Hi Denise I'm 3 weeks post op. I was very unprepared as to what to expect after my op.. My consultant only really said you will have full mobility after didn't really inform me fully.. I hadn't realised how my knee would feel completely numb but at the same time how painful it would be initally(only taking paracetamolnow) take all pain relief your offered.. Also put ice on to reduce swelling..it is completely e debilitating and I've felt very frustrated with myself..Sleeping is difficult as can only sleep on back and leg is just dead weight.. The stiffness is hard but I fi nd getting up and moving regularly and ice eases it. Having said all that each day has been better then the one before.. I'm following my physio exercises to the letter and now getting around the house with just one stick even been out walking. Every one is different and recovers at different rates.. Wished I'd looked on here before then I d of been more prepared.. Wouldn't not off had it done as arthritis pain has gone.. I believe the more you put in the more you get back so I'm working hard on my recovery but equally not over doing it.. Good luck. Xx

• Posted

Hi Denise!! Not sure where you live but I am in the United States. If it is possible for you to request exercises to do before your surgery...I would suggest that.

My TKR was a longer recovery than explained by my surgeon. and I found most people...with the exception of those on this forum...forget details of their experience. Prepare your home before the surgery as you may have a walker...have someone with you at least the first three to four nights....purchase a raised toilet seat and install in bathroom you will use....have easy to make meals....take your pain meds....and get in to Physical therapy as soon as possible. I started mine 4 days after surgery 3x a week for 2 months. You can't drive....so plan on having other arrangements made. I slept on a reclining couch for weeks with all of my necessities on a table next to it. Get large ice packs ... preferrably gel type and more than one. ICE AND ELEVATE!!!

Try to keep a positive attitude and let people help you and encourage them to visit. Its easy to get bored. Get yourself some good reading material and be prepared to do your exercises at home. Follow your physical therapist's instructions....but be honest and vocal of pain with him or her. The goal of my physical therapist was to get me moving and better...but not to put me in agony. Stretching and massaging were very helpful as well.I loved that guy!!

You should receive instructions from your surgeon for going home.

This forum is so helpful...but you will recover in your own time. Listen to your body and be kind to yourself. Its a big surgery. Be patient. Best of luck!!

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Chico and the others are spot on. All good advice.

If you hunt around this site, just remember that people that post on here are usually the ones that are having problems. Not everyone has problems.

One thing that I might add is: Make all those nurses and assistants and doctors that visit you in the hospital are washing their hands and/or have gloves on or, preferably, both as they hop from room to room.

My wife's surgery went great; walking around with a walker later that day. Almost no pain but they gave her a MERSA infection as a parting gift.

• Posted

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. The best would probably be the fairy tale of recovery that most doctors tells you will happen... and some FEW people DO luck into the fairy tale version . But from experience and from reading knee recovery forums, I believe you should plan on significant impairment/pain for 3-4 months, getting better after that - but full recovery will take a year - at least. That's hard to wrap your head around, but if you plan for the long game, you won't be so disillusioned or think there's something terribly wrong if you're not back to your old self at 2 months post. Have lots of help. Lots of pillows.. Take ALL your meds and ask for a sleep aid when you need it. Ice and elevation are your friends. If you can get a constant passive motion machine, that was a lifesaver for me during the first month. Otherwise, exercise as directed, but don't think that the harder you work, the faster you'll get well. Over doing it can really bite you in the behind. And don't let a physical therapist crank on your knee. Find a good one who includes deep tissue work to prevent scar tissue and adhesions. Read all you can beforehand - from people who have actually had the surgery. I am about 10 1/2 months post, and I'm almost glad I had the surgery. I have no knee pain and am about to the point of being able to do everything I want to do, but this year has been a long, hard slog.

• Posted

I was very scared prior to my surgery - the best advice I can offer is to make sure you put everything you have into your physical therapy. Therapy is the key to a good recovery. The exercises can be grueling but follow your therapists directions and do them every day. Do not stop exercising. Ice Ice Ice with elevation!!! Ice became my best friend for quite awhile. It gave me relief and really helped with the exercises. It's a difficult surgery but in the end it is well worth it - I don't have that horrible knee pain anymore.......I got my life back!!! Wishing you the very best.

Susan

• Posted

if you can wait til later i would wait...had mine in may last year and lost the whole summer and most of fall. worst year of my life! Recovery is slow and painful process. good luck.

• Posted

Hi Denise. Like everyone else has said, we're all different. I'm 17 weeks now and every day i can do a bit more, and i don't have arthritis pain which is wonderful. I expected to have a lot of pain post op but really it was very little. I took the painkillers given to me (dihydrocodeine) for 2 weeks and then found paracetamol sufficient. My knee is still stiff and getting downstairs is a slow and painful process but i know it WILL get easier. Back at work, driving ok, can do housework, ironing etc as long as I don't overdo it. Your knee will tell you what to do....ice, elevate, rest, exercise. Give it time and it will improve. You'll find sleeping is the worst....I was desperate for sleep in the beginning but i found if I couldn't sleep at night i just did other things like reading, surfing the net, puzzles, tv etc and then caught up during the day - easier to sleep on the sofa! you'll also get depressed and miserable - expect it and let it pass. Its normal. I hope all goes well and let us know how you get on, and if you have any more questions this is a wonderful place to find the answers! 😀😀

• Posted

Hi Denise first don't listen to scary stories everyone is different. Yes it's horrific at first but it's def worth it. Just follow advise ice, rest and meds not too much don't try to overdo exercises listen to your body. This is my second in 12",months do I regret it No. At times you do question whether it was worth it but it is. Good luck x

• Posted

Don't do it, unless you are ready for a different kind of pain than the arthritis pain, swelling, lack of sleep, etc. Wish I had never had it done.

• Posted

I am 3 and 2 years post tkr both knees. It was so good I did it again 😃. Exercise, ice (froze peas in plastic pack) good pain killers, a pillow to put between your knees . REST! Your body will have undergone a major op and will take time to recover, so patience is paramount . Any problems consult your surgeon, he's man to help you. 6 months time you will glad you did it. Good luck !

• Posted

denise00393

I am 47 years old, have had both knees replaced. work, work work that's all it takes. I worked super hard on getting my range of motion back by bending my knee as often as possible and keeping it moving. ended up with 136 on both knees. yes it is alot of pain post op, but keep a smile every day, I think the more you smile the less it hurts. I know it sounds crazy but give it a try it works.

• Posted

HI! DENISE,

it is difficult to tell you what to expect because it is different for everyone. I did lots of recommended exercises that I found on the net prior to my surgery. I am sure that has aided my recovery. Just search " 10 best exercises to do before total knee replacement. I did them for 3 months before the op.

Post op, the best advice I can give is rehab, rehab and more rehab and ice, ice, ice!! I am almost 12 weeks post op and still not as mobile as I would like. I am bike riding but when I walk, my knee feels like a block of wood!! Unless I use my stationery peddles when I rise in the morning, I cannot walk very well at all.

This forum is fantastic and I don't feel alone now I've joined, lots of useful info here. My surgeon said not to compare your progress with anyone else because everyone is different. Good luck with your procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.