TKR in April became infected so in May reopened and liner replaced in pain and still inflamed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 64 year old female. Was active, did a lot of walking but arthritis took knee to bone on bone. TKR april 2019 became infected may 2019 so knee reopened washed out and liner replaced. Hospital appts every 2 weeks, but do not see the same surgeon / registrar each time, and each has a different diagnosis of whats happening. now 6 weeks since last surgery. They nod and say they are monitoring it, one sent me into a panic when he said they may have to reopen it and wash it out again or replace the whole knee again. I ask lots of questions, they go off and debate but no clear answers. My blood markers are going down. My knee gets inflamed as the day goes on, is stiff and feels like steel bands around my mid thigh and ankle and feels hot. Bend is around 85% and its very painful to try to go more it fixes at that point. COPE nurses visit, and say it will improve over time, but I am very worried that I will not be able to walk properly or very far . There is still a question of low grade infection as bacteria was found in the wash out, but I have been waiting 2 weeks to see the head surgeon who will decide if it needs further antibiotic treatment or not. I take pain relief but sleep badly as my knee feels fixed. Is there hope.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

OMG, this is terrible for you to have to deal with. I am so sorry for your suffering . I'll be praying for you!! Sounds like you need to go to a pain clinic or wound care clinic!

• Posted

OMG, this is terrible for you to have to deal with. I am so sorry for your suffering . I'll be praying for you!! Sounds like you need to go to a pain clinic or wound care clinic!

• Posted

not sure my answer will help but my own story goes tkr 09/05/18, 10 days later seriously bled into knee prob down to blood thinners for heart, had to go in again and wash it clean. couldnt exercise properly and 3 months later had a MUA as only had 60 degree bend. i recognise the tight bands in your legs and had them for a long time.

its totally been a case of 2 steps forward and 3 back. Its 11 months on from mua and i only have 90 degree bend even after prob 80 physio sessions.

However, i am now walking 4 miles daily and 2 weeks i took up kettlebells via a guy called coach ryan shannahan on youtube. the kettlebell exercises have transformed my knee by freeing up my glute muscles and i feel so much happier.

its been a long miserable and painful journey also sleep deprived due to pain but 3 months i gave up all pain meds, 8 co-codomol a day, and hopefully i'm on the right track now.

I wish you well but in my opinion is a long slow process with many setbacks. Many on here said it could take a year to see improvements and they were right in my case

• Posted

thankyou for that glimmer of hope. I will be looking forward in months rather than weeks and just keep walking to build up strength

• Posted

omg I feel so bad for you I'm going through a similar situation I had tkr April 30th and I fell and tore open my knee hard to have a revision and now my leg has been killing me blood comes out when my leg starts to tighten on me I've been on antibiotics but still not helping my Surgeon tested my white blood cells count waiting on results I'm praying I don't have any kind of staff infection or anything serious I'm not trying to have my leg reopened and part removed those are pains times pray for me while I'm praying for you

• Posted

stick with it I had antibiotics for 5 weeks, blood sent of for a culture to see what or if anything grows, it did . I know how you feel its frightening . I hope it goes well for you

• Posted

i feel so sorry for you.

i underwent TKR in February 2016 and it was the worst decision of my life. I had trouble with my knee before ie arthritis etc but this has given me other health problems and my walking is worse than ever. If only I could turn back time!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.