Cocodamol withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, looking for help and advice. I've been addicted to cocodamol for around 8 years, taking as many as 22 8/500 a day (well I may as well be honest) BUT todays the day I STOP. I'm expecting to feel like death for a while, but i know its worth it for my long term health. I've probably destroyed my liver, so any tips on that and getting through the next week or so would be most welcome.

Lex

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi lex,

I went through similar and I was addicted to 16 x 30/500s fizzies for 7 years or so.

last year I didnt feel great and stopped them completely. I ended up with gastroenteritis symptoms for 4 weeks. I had serious diarrhoea every 2 hrs for 3 weeks and eventually it died down. my toilet movements still aren't 100% but so much better. I would strongly advise not to go cold turkey as the temptation will be there to go back on them to stop the withdrawal. ease the tablets back every 4 days or so, there are withdrawal tablets online which helped me. the yearning for co-codamols have ever left me and I still the odd time fail and take a couple for a quick pick me up but I've went days or weeks without them now and feel so much better for it. as for ur liver it will be the paracetamol that causes the damage so even try to get codeine tablets during the withdrawal without the paracetamol. I really hope you do well with the recovery and get through the withdrawal as easily as you can. don't be afraid to contact me on here for anymore advice or just a chat. take care

• Posted

sorry I meant withdrawal tables not tablets lol

• Posted

Hi Lex,

I'd strongly advise gradually withdrawing by reducing by 1/2 tab per day or so. I had a 30-40 x 8/500 tablet a day habit for over 10 years and it worked for me: clean since Feb 2018. I had tried cold turkey before and it can be brutal and ultimately ineffective as relapse statistically shown to be more likely. Would also advise seeing your GP to arrange a liver function blood test and ultrasound scan if test indicates it to be necessary. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.