Twin sister on week 5 of Celexa and still struggling

Posted , 8 users are following.

My twin sister, Jessica, is entering week 5 on Celexa and is still having a hard time. Waking up anxious, retching, nauseous throughout the day (although, this is getting better). Her evenings tend to be a little better. But she is just so scared and so tired of feeling this way.

She had actually been on Celexa for years, but started to get depressed and anxious (I believe this was situational), so she thought the Celexa had stopped working, so she changed to Prozac (40 mg from the start, which is TOO MUCH; it was her family doctor, not a psychiatrist). Big mistake. She turned into a mess. So, the family doc put her back on Celexa (40 mg, which has been her dose for years) but added Abilify. She was good for a couple weeks but the Abilify was giving her a mental restlessness that was very disconcerting. So, she got off that and found a pysch doctor (very young, inexperienced) who dropped the 40 mg of Celexa to 20 for a week, then down to 10 for a week and put her on Effexor. Her coming off of the Celexa was making her an even bigger mess. So the doc says that she believes the Celexa was working all along, so she (the doc) told her to quit the Effexor over only one week, and upped her Celexa from 10 to 40 mg in one shot.

Now, she is in week 5 and doesn't think it is going to help her. BUT, Celexa had make her even (not happy all the time, but "normal") for 12 years or so. I keep telling her that just stick with it, that her brain chemicals have been through the ringer and it is going to take time. I keep telling her that to go from 10 to 40 in one fell-swoop is A LOT to handle. She keeps thinking that because she had been on Celexa for years, that it should be working fully by now, that her brain should know the drug well and be accepting and working by now. I think it is still stabilizing and will take some more time. Anyway, I just wanted to reach out. Tell you her story, and if you have any words of encouragement that I could pass on that would be great! Sincerely, the other twin (Hilary, USA)

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am the twin sister. All I can say is that i am really struggling as of late. I call this "round two of hell" I am only able to have a few good moments a day. So this is week 5 going into week 6. the last time I tried to switch to prozac in January from Celexa, It only took me 5 weeks after reincreasing my celexa dose back up to 40. I was on celexa 20 then up to 40. I was nauseous, had a very acute sense of smell, drank a lot of shakes, was shaky, morning retching with anxiety. this go round i increased my celexa from 10 to 40 but I was only on 10 of celexa for a week and the week before i was on 20. I have a lot more nausea and anxiety this time. And the anxiety is causing depression. so the question i have for all of you, DID I SCREW MY BRAIN UP FOREVER?? It feels that way. i see no end in sight and I'm growing weary. my best times, are after i get off work at 7:30 pm.

• Posted

you are just experiencing side effects from all the dose changes.but if you are feeling good at 7:30pm that means the meds are working.and no your brain is notscrew up.wishing you a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.