Anterior repair post-op problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’m 64 and am 6 weeks post-op for anterior vaginal wall repair and sacrospinous fixation after having symptoms of bladder prolapse for 10 years. I had a full hysterectomy 15 years ago.

I know there is a long recovery and a need to take things easy but I’m feeling so down with everything. I am worried that the operation has failed as I have a bulge at the entrance just like the symptoms pre-op and I can’t even sit down yet as it’s so painful. Standing and walking cause pain and pressure and the best I feel is when lying down. I even have to eat dinner standing up!

I have been careful to take things easy and I’m lucky to have a very helpful, supportive husband.

Has anyone experienced this degree of pain and discomfort at this stage in the recovery?

I know it seems early days but when the information says you can drive after 4 weeks and go back to work at 6 weeks how is that even possible when you can’t sit down?

It would be good to hear others experiences at this stage.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I had a hysterectomy last June with an Anterior pro lapse repair after being fobbed off for years it was my IBS causing the symptoms. I'm only 41 it did take a long time to heal and still have the odd problem even now. I feel it has changed me as a person as i can longer enjoy a full sex life now ( sorry if to much info ) but hopefully you can relate in some way.

I really hope things start to settle down for you soon & wish you a speedy recovery

Best Wishes

Kerry

• Posted

Thanks Kerry

Sorry to hear you've had ongoing problems.

I know it's early days for me and hopefully things will start to improve. I think the problem with the internal surgery is you don't know exactly what they've done and what is actually going on "in there" regarding how many stitches etc!

Best wishes to you.

Marg

• Posted

Hi Marg, I had a SSF about 20 months ago, as I had a vaginal prolapse, I'd had a hysterectomy about 25 years previously, there are internal stitches and external ones that is probably the swelling that you can feel, my stitches took about 3 months to dissolve properly, and I would say that 6 weeks recovery is not the truth 🙂 it is more like 4 months till you can trot around "normally"

I used to sit in the corner of the sofa with my feet up which helped ease the discomfort, and when I was having a meal I had a cushion on the chair to sit on but when my meal was finished i would go back to the sofa. It's a long process I'm afraid but you will get there, try to do as little as possible and rest. I personally couldn't drive for about 10 weeks but that was my choice, my hubby was really good and helpful and I remember feeling so pleased with myself when I prepared a casserole in the slow cooker for when he came home from work, I had bought ready prepared veg, chopped up steak etc but I'd put it all in the pot myself 😀

Just take things easy, one day you'll feel great and do little bits and bobs in the house and next day you'll feel rubbish, so take each day at a time and good luck.

Lyn x

• Posted

Thanks so much Lyn.

It's good to hear from someone who's had the same op. It's reassuring to hear that things do eventually start to improve. Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon but the information they give you is obviously way off the mark!

Best wishes.

Marg

• Posted

All very normal I'm afraid at 6 weeks. the occasional panic that everything is dropping and surgery has failed is common even after many weeks. I had surgery posterior 2 years and anterior 1 1/2 years ago and am now back to walking 4- 6 km every day and feeling great. Still very conscious about keeping bowel moving. eating lots of fruit and 1 Movicol (laxido) every day. Only residual symptom now is a soreness after walking for which I use coconut oil and Sudocreme. I am 80 years old so I've probably done quite well.

Have to put up with this minor inconvenience. Hang in there it does get better, just slowly.

• Posted

Thanks Miriam. You sound amazing. Gives me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Best wishes.

Marg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.