Unable bend leg in standing position

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all pleased to say im now seeing a physio and started my exercises (ouch ) i spent 6wks in cast non weight bearing and then had to wait a further 2wks for the wound to fully heal before i could wear my boot and start partial weight bearing i am only able to do 80 steps up and down the hall way a day and then advised to take boot off

the pressure is on i have 8wks to get back to work before sick pay drops to half (panic has already set in )

ok so question is when doing the exercises i felt encouraged that my range of movement in my ankle was showing improvement small as it was i could notice the change .

however one exercise standing holding onto a bench and bending at the knee was no give or possibility of stretching what so ever it was rigid !!!!

it really troubled me enough to feel that wave of despondency like for gods sakes what next ?

has anyone else come out of cast after ankle surgery with this rigid inability to bend in a squat position while standing ? and if so how much time with physio did it take to start noticing a difference ?

thank you all xxxxxxx

tracy

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

At my physio they test this calling it 'knee to wall" with a ruler on the ground and how far back your foot can be from the wall when you bend your knee forward to touch the wall, while holding the bench above.

When I first started weight bearing I was -2cm (about an inch), so even with my toes touching the wall, when I tried to bend my knee I couldnt get it to touch the wall at all (for reference pre-injury I was at 14cm back from the wall).

I gained around 1-2cm per week, and now 10 weeks later I am at 9.5cm.

I write down every thing I do a little bit better than the day before, so that the smallest changes encourage me when I am having those bad days cos they do come.

• Posted

hi there thank you so much for your reply ! xxxx

brilliant suggestion and explanation on how to do it xx

it will help me so much to improve my moral seeing even the tiniest improvements x

thank you

tracy xxxxx

• Posted

Im so glad i saw this post! This is something i just noticed myself. i got scared and thought there was something wrong. i have been doing much better but trying to bend to squat has been impossible. i will try this out!!! thank you!!!!!!

• Posted

yes I still cant 2 1/2 years later but I'm in process of having my hardware removed very soon as its caused me more cons then pros

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.