Underwent surgery for comminuted pillon fracture of distal tibia with 5 screws 6 weeks back

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I underwent a surgery for a comminuted pillon fracture of distal tibia 6 weeks back with 5 screws. Can anyone pls help me with the following queries .

1. ankle range of motion is still compromised , specially dorsiflexion and plantarflexion. Will it normalise ever , kerping in mind that 2 screws are there on the tibiofibular joint just beneath the lateral malleolus.
  2. Achilles tendon is very stiff , is it normal at this stage ?
  3. I still cannot walk pain free and with a physiological gait . when can i expect to do the same ?

Thank you

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi there just a little reply before more nessages arrive to help .

im the same achilles tendon really tight and stiff but my physio therapist had given me a lot if exercises to do 4times a day i still am finding it too painful to weight bare also and i am now 8 weeks since surgery and 2weeks cast off.

my physio explained that the herl to toe motion in the boot helps stretch the tendon so if we are at this point finding it just that bit too painful self refer to physio and they will give you a nice set of exercises to keep going with as the strength improved and pain decreases im sure we will be back in our feet again working those steps in that cursed boot !

its a worry isnt it xx i have been troubled by the same feelings and thoughts x but if it helps to know someone else is experiencing the same thing it might take a tiny but away x

my physio said from start to finish i would be looking at 12 mnths obviously improving with each passing month x big hug to you and hope the pain eases off soon xxxxx

• Edited

This is all so very normal at the end of a year if symptoms dont start subsiding then re think these questions. It will take 2 years for full 100% recovery remember this part of our leg bares our weight and more. I have 14 screws and three plates after a pilon fracture to left leg bones and ankle. Goodluck!

If you can take vitamins geared towards joint health. I take dhea and hydroglycerin/collagen every morning. on really bad days of stiffness I get a hot water bucket and ice cold water bucket and do 15 minutes each one back and for 3 to 4 times. Also last but not least Gravity rules so blood by laws of physics will settle and pool in our feat the bad blood that is. I wrap my leg and ankle in ice packs, scoot butt to wall and lay down on floor putting my legs straight up and down on wall. I literally can feel the blood draining from that leg and sitting like that for 15 minutes allowing new blood to pump to your ankle. Hope's this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.