PCO prevention steps/ IOL choices!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok this deserves it's own thread!

Six Critical Factors that are key to preventing or retarding PCO.

Three surgical factors:

1-Hydrodissection-enhanced cortical cleanup

2-A continuous curvilinear capsulorhexis diameter slightly smaller than that of the IOL optic

3-“In-the-bag” fixation of the posterior chamber IOL

Three IOL-related factors:

1- The geometry of IOLs: a square, truncated edge

2- The biocompatibility of IOL biomaterials (to curtail stimulation of cellular proliferation)

3-Maximal IOL optic-posterior capsule contact

Dr. Apple singled out hydrodissection-enhanced cortical cleanup as the most important of these factors. “In my opinion, that’s 85 percent of it,” noted Dr. Apple. “If you clean out the cells really well, there won’t be any of them left in the capsular bag that can lead to a secondary cataract. You can even have a fairly mediocre lens and still not have PCO if you succeed with good cortical cleanup.”

Since the availability of the first square-edged IOL in 1995, virtually all lens manufacturers have now introduced or are developing square- or sharp-edged IOLs. “The square edge acts as a barrier, preventing the migration of lens epithelial cells from the equatorial region onto the posterior capsule,” Dr. Werner added.

Questions to follow 😃

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HOYA Vivinex™ multiSert™ (XC1-SP / XY1-SP) IOL

Glistening-free hydrophobic acrylic IOL material

Proprietary aspheric optic design for improved image quality

Active oxygen processing treatment and sharp optic edge to reduce PCO

Aspheric Design with sharp textured optic edge

Textured-rough haptic surface

So apparently it has sharp optic edge but how do I know if it is full 360 degree, I have read lot have sharp edge but the haptic area doesn't and it let's cells in.....?

• Posted

PSC and young age, you are probably fighting a losing battle against PCO. I saw a surgeon yesterday who point blank said that 100% will develop PCO. And this was not even the surgeon who did my surgery.

• Posted

Soks I had someone say same thing. Basically if you live long enough pco happens.

Worried - another compromise you made with sharp edged IOLs vs round. Although sharp edge IOLs do a better job of preventing (or delaying pco, some experience flickering or edge glare with light catching the edge vs a round edge IOL. Again another pick your trade-off.

• Posted

i am so sorry, but i did not understand a word that has been written. This seems to be a critical comment. Would you please put it in layman's terms for this old lady.

• Posted

posterior capsule opacification (PCO)

PCO is also sometimes called “after-cataract.”

What is posterior capsule opacification? Posterior capsular opacification (PCO) occurs when a cloudy layer of scar tissue forms behind your lens implant. This may cause you to have blurry or hazy vision, or to see a lot of glare from lights.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.