Numbness on top of foot and big toe, 9 weeks after ORIF Ankle surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

After 9 weeks post post op for ORIF ankle surgery 1 plate 2 screws, I still have numbness on top of my foot, and big toe. I am in a boot, a little weight bearing with crutches. Should this go away? Has anyone else had this experience? Normal? I welcome any comments. Thank you.😊

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am guessing it is nerve damage and not very likely it will.improve. I also have a numb foot, 3/4 of my whole foot is numb.

• Posted

I had something similar, and the physio did a neuro check and I had a compressed nerve in my spine. Probably from all the resting on the couch!

They did a bunch of massage, tension releases and movement exercises. It took a few weeks to completely relive, but the top of foot and most of the big toe numbness went away immediately, it was just the tip of the big toe that took a few extra weeks of exercises, and goes numb if I sit wrong on the coach.

• Posted

The top of my foot was partially numb for months after surgery for me. I don't know exactly when that stopped, but I'm a year and a half out now and my foot is no longer numb. I had numbness in a toe for a little while. That got better as i got back to normal walking.

• Posted

i had the same it will be nerve damage

it took about 12 months to go but by stimulating the nerves helps

i used to massage the foot regularly with oil

good luck

• Posted

I am year and a half out from my surgery and still have numbness on top of my foot. My Dr. told me it was most likely nerve damage and since I haven't gotten it back most likely i won't. Hate to say but eventually i got used to it and it doesn't bother me like it used to!

• Posted

yes I am 7 weeks post ORIF surgery for a tri malleolar surgery. I am walking slowly with a boot but it is still painful. My foot is numb on the top and pins and needles at the same time. Physio said it could be deep peroneal nerve damage. it may or may not recover. this has been the most painful time. I have two plates and 20 screws the largest one on the fibular side, walking in the boot makes my hips and back hurt so much but I just do what I can. my foot is puffy and purple. I feel like I will never get there but I know I will in time. love to anyone going through the sqme thing. Its hard and painful but keep optimistic, we need to.

• Posted

I had TightRope surgery on June 23rd for a Maisonneauve fracture of the left ankle. Prior to surgery, I was in a splint. For two weeks after surgery, I was in a hard cast. I was then placed into a cam walking boot, where I remain. PT is certainly helping the ankle get stronger, however, my big concern right now is my big toe. I cannot feel it and cannot lift it or move it back...only forward. My foot now has the appearance of a "drop foot". I have to get an ultrasound on the EHL tendon to make sure it isn't ruptured. I really thought this far after surgery, I'd be further along. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.