Need reassuring

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there x

its 5wks since having my cast off .. i had a nasty break needed surgery plates and screws after falling from the loft .

my problem is 5wks on since having the cast removed i couldnt start weight bearing as the wound hadnt fully healed so ive been doing physio with the nhs to build up my muscle strength over the past 4wks improving where i can now use the crutches and weight bear, i can bend my knee now and today managed to stand on my injured ankle on one foot for 3 seconds .

the problem is the constant nagging pain and still difficulty to walk in the boot with crutches is starting to affect my mental health i dont know if i am expecting too much from myself ? i do the exercises religiously even though they are uncomfortable i stop when it feels painful gradually building up but waking up every morning to the same disablement and 4walls can really start to wear thin x

my boss has suggested starting the ball rolling with occupational health as a return to work ? i can feel the panic rising in me already needing this to get better quickly .. i have only just managed to climb the stairs to use the shower day 2 which im pleased about but even so it took me an age to actually have the shower and get dressed i just keep thinking 5weeks is a long time after having the cast off should i not be more mobile or am i expecting too much too soon ?

if anyone can help id really appreciate a pep talk xxx

thank you

tracy

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know how much reassurance I can give you because I forced all my weight in agonizing pain at physical therapy and am still in crutches.

I would say hang in there and don't rush it like I did. I think I should have babied my foot/ankle/leg way longer than what therapy people were telling me to do.We are determined to walk again without pain right? We will then I know it.

• Posted

I'm beginning to agree. I'm going for therapy on my ankle and toe. I'm also in agonizing pain and now my knee is killing me. I'm going to start listening more to my body instead of trying to please the therapist

• Posted

Hi Tracey am 18 weeks after op broken leg and ankle 1 scre w

pins 7 .. plate . Hopping along got curtches. Only around the house Half a shoe on . Still have swelling when foot is down too long do losts of exercises . Goes well then stiff up again this week got up the stairs with one curtche but can't get down . But still made up do not push your self . Take you time . Been putting baby oil on my leg and foot rubbing it in for a round 15 minutes everyday . Hope that helps get well soon .

• Posted

hi adele thank you for your message x

it really helps talking to others who are going through the same thing x

i wonder do you fancy a pen pal ?

the boredom being stuck in doors fir so long is awlful isnt it? talk about stir crazy !!!

hey i could picture you scaling those stairs !! i did the identical thing deciding to come down on my bum lol lol but my god its like we have scaled mount everest !! well done you xxx

if youd like to keep in touch my email address is

thanks again for your message

tracy xxx

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.