Peroneal Tendon Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 7 days post op for longus and brevis debridement and repair. I'm nervous. will I get a hard cast and THEN a boot? I'm not looking forward to 5 more weeks of sitting as I am on my feet 8-12 hours a day at work. All I see here are horror stories. Any miracles? I've had less pain with surgery then I had before, although I got used to being in pain for months prior to surgery.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

More than likely you will have both . I found healing was quite slow after ankle surgery IM older though so that might make a difference too

• Posted

More than likely you will have both . I found healing was quite slow after ankle surgery IM older though so that might make a difference too

• Posted

I'm already irritated with sitting 7 days. ugh. But I'm hopeful for a quick recovery.

• Posted

I just hit my first week post op. go see the doc on the 19th to get a cast for 4 weeks and then a boot for another 2. Sitting around is miserable and Im trying to stay busy. Anytime my wife leaves the house i go with even if its just to rode along. i had the nerve block which helped tremendously and only took 2 narcs. little discomfort but nothing aleve cant take care of. how are you feeling now a days. whatd you do to stay busy

• Posted

As I am reading your message, I am freaking out a little bit because I think I am going to need surgery too for torn tendons. I haven't been diagnosed with any torn tendons but I am still in so much pain from May 23, 2019 while in P.T. killing my foot on that dumb scale. I guess your tendons didn't heal on there own?I am sorry for your pain for so long too then. I have not been to work either since Feb.

How did you find out you needed debridement and repair surgery? I broke my ankle and had ORIF surgery on March 4, 2019. The months of pain you talk about is what I am really tired of myself. We have to believe that there are miracles here!!! Thanks for listening and please recover swiftly and remarkably.

• Posted

I insisted on having an MRI instead of waiting through 8 weeks of PT. They could see that mine was too thick of a tear to heal itself. Ask your insurance if you are covered for an MRI WITHOUT a pre-cert and then ask your doctor to order one. that is what I did.

good luck and praying you find release from pain.

• Posted

Hello, thank you for your reply. I did get an MRI of my foot and ankle. The results were quite extensive, the main thing the dr. said was that I have bone edema. It mentions "possibly subacute to chronic tear with re-injury or incomplete fibrotic remodeling".But in the results it states No Tendon Abnormality. I am still in so much pain, sorry to gripe, but this is the pits. Best of Healing for us. Thanks.

• Posted

Best of luck to you. I know it's painful. I'm sorry for your pain. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

I guess they must feel like your issue will be best repaired with PT. Both of my tendons were torn and I had bone marrow edema. For my situation the PT was making it worse because they were too far gone to repair themselves.

Again, good luck. And prayers for quick healing.

• Posted

I'm not going to tell you horror stories. I am going to tell you with the type of surgery you are having you will need a hard cast and then a boot. Take it easy, take your meds and listen to what your doc says. Then you'll have PT and then you'll know if it works or not.

Good luck! ******

• Posted

I had the surgery August 7th. I've only taken 10 of the 42 Oxy that was prescribed ( in my first 3-4 days). I've only needed ibuprofen. Although I have been taking 1 muscle relaxer before bed or my leg will sporadically jump/ twitch off the pillows. Other than that, no issues and minimal pain.

• Posted

Update: First post-op appointment 8 days post open. healing great. no hard cast. Got my Cam boot today and exercises. If I show improvement in 2 weeks, I can drive. Still no weight baring.image

• Posted

Hey I have that same scar! LOL

You are doing very well! 😃 Good for you! 😃 ******

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.