Depression

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 2 weeks post op and experiencing sever depression. can anyone help me out? all i do is cry.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

well i understand your depressed but its not going to change anything. pull yourself together and be patient and allow your ankle to heal. yes its a long process but trust me it will get better. what injury do you have to your ankle

• Posted

Hi Patty,

I felt the same way for the first month post injury/surgery and I still have rough days where I am very emotional but I've noticed around 7-8 weeks post op I started to feel better.

Dont be hard on yourself and try your best to remain positive. Things happen! Remember it could be worse and your body responds to positivity so try to just understand that you are allowed to feel upset but don't sulk in sadness! I know its easier said than done but trust me I was miserable in the beginning and I spent most of my days alone due to my other half working and everyone else is busy with their own lives.

Once you start to feel better I would try to sit outside as much as possible as I found that helped me tremondously and listening to music. You will feel better. HANG IN THERE!!! it gets easier trust me

• Posted

I felt that way at first but tomorrow I am eight weeks post op after an ankle replacement and I am walking now without an assistive device and started therapy today. I feel really good. It's hard at first when you see everyone around you that is healthy and you start to ask the question "why me" I am 56 and my older siblings do not have the arthritis I have. It will get better. You can private message me if you want anytime.

• Posted

Hi,

When I got home at 2 days post op. I just sat down on my bed and the tears just came out of nowhere. I think it was just all the changes I had experienced the past week. Breaking ankle in 3 places, being in the A and E waiting around. Being admitted and told I'd need an operation ( first time ever) I was supposed to be going to Spain in 2 days, but instead here I was experiencing all this....alone. Waiting 4 days for swelling to go down to have the operation. Being scared to death being wheeled to theatre. All went well . Relief that that bit was over, and went home 2 days later. It's mental as well as physical, and It was difficult sometimes to come to terms with what just happened to me. The shock of it all was too much at times. Sadness loves company , I found. So! I starting writing about my experience. It kept my mind occupied, took away from staring out of the window. I too was mostly alone in my room all day. Everyone around me had their lives to lead, and at times I felt abandoned, but I wasn't of course. I put it down to my body and mind trying to adjust all the new experiences, good and bad. Crying is a good release, just go with it, and just know this phase doesn't last forever. It does end. Get people to take you for a drive even if it's just around the corner, different scenery is Important. I'm now 10 weeks post post op. and yesterday I walked in a shoe for the first time. This is going to be you soon. Take good care of yourself, eat healthy, take good vitamins, get some fresh air and sunlight, sleep lots of hours at night, If you can. The body does a lot of healing at night . You will be ok. xxx

• Posted

So sorry to see that you're so up set i was the same broken leg and ankle its good for you to cry get it all out , take no s**t off people pull you self together it your pain if you're feeling sorry for yourself you do that , but you're going to be ok just talk to any one that will listen . Keep yourself busy . Go hairdresses get you nails done and a boby massage . That will make you feel better and people can come to you .. The best you can.. like reading tv but get losts of rest because before you know it you be back on you feet . Take care xxxxx .

• Posted

Crying all the time post surgery is common. Give it time and cry when you need too. Do you have family/friends you can talk too?

• Posted

I have so many surgeries and procedures I've lost count. Crying is absolutely normal. Your body is tired, in pain, you have to get up, ppl are telling you different things, you feel like your head might explode. All of it is horrible. Crying and feeling depressed is ok. It will pass as you improve and get stronger and have less pain. It takes time though so try to be gentle with yourself. And cry when you need too. It's good to cry.

Best wishes

Melissa

• Posted

Hi Patty,

I have some bad pain too. As I think I am getting better I find the pain come back to me. All these posts help me feel like there will be an end to all this pain and suffering and boredom. I had surgery on March 4, and not to upset you further but still not able to be fully weight bearing. I was fully weight bearing for about a week and then the pain on the inside ankle starting to kill me and getting swollen which it never did that before. I have been to the pool a lot and physical therapy two times every week since April. I tried to put all my weight on it way too soon and made my foot and ankle worse. So please take it easy and do not rush your foot and ankle into doing what it must not do too early. This is what I did. I believe I am paying the price now. I hope you heal great, thanks for posting it helps me too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.