Partial Knee Replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just coming up to 8 weeks post op and thought I would write of my experiences so far. All going in the right direction with various healing pains/sensations along the way. Exercises have been invaluable but at times very difficult to get motivated due to bouts of tiredness but have persevered. Easy to overdo things as any slight improvement makes you think you are sort of back to normal but there is always a sharp reminder to slow down. I think the main thing is tiredness which seems all part of the recovery process. I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm 9.5 weeks out and still tired!! I think it's due to having to sit, pain meds and recovery!! I over did my first month and I paid for it!! they say all this will pass, I do excercises 2x day or I get to stiff.

Good Luck to you!

• Posted

I'm 9.5 weeks out and still tired!! I think it's due to having to sit, pain meds and recovery!! I over did my first month and I paid for it!! they say all this will pass, I do excercises 2x day or I get to stiff.

Good Luck to you!

• Posted

Good Luck to you!

• Posted

Hello

just read your note, sounds like yr coming along good. i am tried a lot to it is a struggle even doing my exercises plus the pain pill I am on makes me sleepy. I have a great PT team at the hospital . I had surgery 7-31

I am determined to meet my goals with my therapy and they tell me I am doing really good!! I have lived with arthritis since I was 8 and believe me its been rough but I finally decided to go through the surgery and I am glad I did. Take care

• Posted

Hi there ,Im very pleased that your knee operation is progressing well. The tiredness that you feel is probably due to the effects of the anaesthetic and can take a while for the effects to wear off. You are sensible to maintain the excercises but it is as important to rest as well .Good luck with the rest of your recovery Flic

• Posted

hello

i thank you for your kind words and encouragement! my husband is a Vietnam vet and always tell me to persevere.

Hope all is well with you.

• Posted

Sounds like you're doing well and right on track. I read that it takes about 3 months just to get your full strength back as the trauma of the operation really takes it out of your body. There is a lot of healing going on inside that we are not necessarily conscious of - blood vessels, nerves, muscles. It can take a full year before the stiffness finally - hopefully - disappears. Over the three months since my op, I feel I have just about regained pre-op stamina, but I think I've learned to pace myself - take short breaks with a cup of coffee or a stint at the computer. I'm retired so I am lucky that I don't have the stress of having to get back to work. Exercises are invaluable, as you say. I started physiotherapy at the hospital, came home 2 days after the op and had home physio 5 days a week for 2 weeks, then twice a week for a further three weeks at home, now I go to the physiotherapy unit at our clinic, but that's coming to an end . I exercise almost every day at home. I find walking the best thing, even round the house. Sitting too long causes my knee to stiffen, but thankfully, no pain. Just remember, it's ok to feel tired, rest when you can, whether a long sleep or a short break and patience, patience and more patience. Good luck and hope you will soon start feeling much less tired.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.