Bend in the knee

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all , i am 10 week post op, the surgeon has recommended i do knee pressure exercising, with my leg straight out and foot resting on a chair and my husband pressing down on the knee has I have a bend on the knee. But don't know if we should be doing sharp pushing or long ones, anyone has had this please. Thanks all.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The idea I believe is to apply pressure gently until it is as a good stretch - you should feel it, but not be painful - and then keep the pressure there for a moment - remove, relax and repeat. Not sharp presses, that would hurt. Its about getting the stretch and holding it so a gradual pressure means you can get to wear you feel the work is happening but it is not hurting you.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks jan this is what we thought, but just needed a bit of reassurance. Thank you very much. x

• Posted

Hello

My PT will have me use the chair also they will put both hands on my knee and press down firm (not to hard) and hold to the count of 5 slow 20 times.

• Posted

Thanks Donna, i feel more comfortable now knowing we are doing it well, This site is amazing. kind regards Sue x

• Posted

That's what a PT does with you lying down and the PT pushing down on your knee (one continuous pressure...no jerking it; repeat 5X). Got me from -14 / +84 to a final -1 / +123 when I finished the sessions at 12 weeks. Advances, setbacks and a multi-week plateau at -4...all part of the process. It also helped to do work at home. #3 will straighten your knee...learned it from my PT...

ROM Work

You can do this one all by yourself however, I would recommend a "scream pillow"...gravity is a harsh taskmaster...

• Posted

Thanks Chico, I feel much better knowing that we are doing the right thing. I had pkr 3 yearsago and didn't need this exercise. You always no what to do. They need to call you Dr 😁 thanks for your help

regards Sue.

• Posted

My pt has me hanging my legs over the bed to almost my knee, for 5 minutes. This really helps the back leg stretch! it really hurts in the beginning, then gets easier the more you do the routine.

• Posted

Thanks a lot will try anything i have no pain just the bend to get sorted. xx

• Posted

Hi my PT did this to me but although he was firm not sure if I'd be happy with my hubby doing it. I found extending my leg resting the foot on a chair and letting my whole leg stretch was sufficient for me. Also lying face down on the bed letting my legs hang over the bed re gravity was pulling at my leg. But remember if it is so painful stop you must listen to your body. Afterwards ice regularly. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.