PHN/Shingles, Epidurals and Spinal Stimulators

Posted , 3 users are following.

I read a thread on this site from 2 years ago devoted to PHN/Shingles sufferers who were considering an epidural i feel all of their pain. I have been suffering from the stings and stabs of PHN for 4 1/2 months with NO end in site. I was a very active 62 year-old man before this condition, which makes me feel like I've aged 20 years.

At any rate, I will soon be going in for my second epidural at UCSF in San Francisco. The first one did not work at all, but my doctor thinks it might help if he injects 3 sites rather than just one. Was curious to hear if anyone else has had any success with epidurals, or with a spinal stimulator, which is the next course of treatment I am considering.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi

tim

have been suffering since2012

the agony does age you no question

epidural

you mean pain bloc

i never did it

the evidence does not support permanent relief

its i guess its safe

you have insurance so try it

do you have phn

we are all sufferers

here

i suffer everyday

if i didnt have my cat

i would have no reason to live

lisa

• Posted

Lisa, I'm so sorry for your pain and since 2012 😭

Yes, I haven't seen much evidence that the pain bloc/epidural will work and my first one didn't. But my doctor is hopeful. And I need a little of that.

I will post on here how it goes. I am sick of taking all these pills (Cymbalta once/day, Lyrica and Percocet three times a day), and all these pills cannot be healthy in the long-term. That is why I am considering the spinal stimulator.

• Posted

Tim, it's a lot for you to absorb right now, but I have two points I want to make. Anytime there's an invasive procedure, and getting an injection IS invasive, there's a risk of complications. Never pain from PHN is nothing like the damage/pain caused by other injuries to the nerves, such as with a back injury or for having a baby. There are specific nerves involved there that are compromised. With PHN, it's a larger network as the nervous system is affected. That's why our pain can seem to come from different areas, and even the opposite area of where the shingles are. I've heard from numerous people who have had injections and they didn't help, or worse, caused damaged which increased the pain. Doctors want to help, they think it's logical to keep trying. Sure keep trying, but not with more meds or invasive procedures!

The next issue is more complicated and a bit discouraging. The meds themselves can paradoxically increase our pain. What you're dealing with is very common, the pain doesn't improve (mainly because percocet they now realize is NOT for long term pain for most people) and that Lyrica will not help PHN pain. And adding Cymbalta to the other two meds can cause a world of symptoms and withdrawal issues. Thousands of people are caught in this medical maelstrom, you're not alone. We want the pain to be gone, we believe that something has to help, so we keep seeking interventions.

Worldwide, there is a growing movement showing that many of these meds are improperly prescribed, not monitored and that patients aren't told of the risks of dependence and/or withdrawal. I'll end it at that. Each person has to choose the path they wish. But many, MANY people have found that by slowly and safely getting off the meds (which may take many months or longer) improves their quality of life and greatly decreases their pain.

I used to think it was a coincidence that as my dose of gab decreased (gabapentin and Lyrica are kissing cousins, drug wise) my pain decreased. I finally realized that the drug was making my improvement. Now at 300 mg, I have MUCH less pain, better memory, less brain fog and many of the other symptoms are gone. Look to places like benzo buddies, Inner Compass and other support groups for more information. Good luck.

• Posted

i know 4 1/2 months feels like a very long time, but PHN can last longer than that. However there may be some healing going on, many people do see improvement, but it's just very slow. I got shingles 3 years ago and the first 6 months saw very little improvement. Then I realized it was better. Now I'm about 85% healed. I still am careful to not aggravate those muscles and nerves, but it's a huge difference. I wouldn't get an injection. The pain and nerve involvement is rarely helped by them and they can backfire.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice and giving me hope that it will get better in the long term, Babs! I've already had the shot, so I'm not worried about it causing it to get worse. And yes, I am beginning to accept the fact that the healing will take years. Of course, the doctors love to say that it would heal faster if I reduce my stress--easier said than done. But I am doing what I can ...

• Posted

Stress does make it harder to heal, no doubt. But my PHN is in my core area i.e. the bra-line. So bending, twisting, lifting and reaching all increase my discomfort. A really good tip my doctor gave me was to decrease activity that increased pain. That's not always possible, but it was for me. I finally figured out that by pushing myself physically, my pain was worse and lasted longer. It was harder on me and my husband. Now I'll say, can you get that gallon or milk, or take that wash out of the dryer. My activity level and energy has increased at least three fold in the last two years. I've regained many activities, but some at a lower level. I still can't work because the gabapentin has caused too many cognitive and memory issues. To meet me and talk with me, it's not obvious. But as the gab has made my life so difficult, I'm slowly getting off it. Going through withdrawal isn't fun, but the outcome is worth it.

You've got a lot to deal with, I'm sorry and I wish I had better answers and could say have faith in your doctors, but I can't. I worked in health care as a medical secretary for over 30 years and saw too much. And my outstanding physician looked me in the eye and said there are almost no side effects from gab, except maybe loosing some hair and gaining a little weight. He lied, and obviously never read the warnings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.