Broken ankle recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a question..has anyone tried accupuncture forbroken ankle recovery? I am seriously thinking about it.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Wouldn't hurt...no pun intended! Was actually thinking the same thing.

• Posted

I have acupuncture for a back injury and for my ankle before my op. The first time l had it I was very sceptical. I'm an ex science teacher and didnt see the logic of needles easing pain, but I was desperate! I was amazed the next day. l have had several treatments of acupuncture and it does relieve the pain..why? I dont know! I've had an ankle fusion 12 weeks ago. next week hopefully out of an aircast boot. I will go to my private physio who also does acupuncture for treatment if the nhs physio is slow! no disrespect to the nhs physios, but if I have to wait I will pay for pain relief !

• Posted

I am now almost 8 months post ORIF surgery on my right ankle. I had them try a procedure which they called dry needling. This was four(4) needles in four different locations along my leg. She left the needles in for 10 minutes, twisting them each every so often (which hurt) but IT DID relieve the pain for three or four days. I was so happy for those relief days.

Then another time a different person in my physical therapists office did a procedure called dry needling, it hurt like hell. Only one needle, no twisting, no leaving it in for 10 minutes. It was put deep into my muscle between the ankle and the back of my foot near my achilies heal i guess. Didn't find any relief from this procedure at all. In fact it felt worse for days afterwards. I would suggest acupuncture for sure instead of dry needling. They are very similar though. I am finally out of extreme pain since Sept. 30. It is such a long and painful process. I hope you find some healing techniques that work for you. I iced mine a lot up in the air. I have a plate and 8 screws on the right outside and 1 long screw on the inside of my right ankle. Take CARE, You will get through this. We have to have faith we will all get back to our regular walking ability.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.