Broken ankle

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had ankle surgery 4 weeks ago I have cast on .pain is very bearable until 3 weeks in and I slipped putting my weight on it I'm now terrified I upset the break could this be possible I can feel lot of swelling

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

i did it twice. i was terrified also but i do believe its normal. did you have any hardware installed? if so i most def would say that youre fine.

• Posted

Since having this experience and talking to people many have gone to have cast redone just because it was uncomfortable. You slipped , put weight on it ,suspect swelling and have pain.I wouldn't be asking people here,I'd be calling your ortho asap!

• Posted

P.S. Britt was lucky.I believe hardware or not it takes longer than 4 weeks to completely heal and lastly it takes a really long time to recover from ankle surgery. Why would you not want to check it just to make sure so you don't go backwards in your recovery and have to start over ? When in doubt call doc.

• Posted

I agree with you deedeemouse. I am now, Nov. 4, eight months since my ORIF surgery. Still not back to work because I have a stand up dealing cards for 8 hours with 20 minute breaks every hour and a half. I want to be 100% before I go back. I don't to get stress fractures or anything else happen while standing on it for so long too soon. Your comments made me feel better about the length of time it takes to completely recover. I ask myself every day, WHEN? When will I be back to myself again with no pain walking barefoot, up on my tiptoes, just normal again. Thanks for your posts. Good Luck with your recovery, if you haven't quite recovered either.

• Posted

Kathleen, I'm not a person of great patience and also a get up and go person, so I've had moments of serious depression over this. I was a hairstylist who worked dressed up in heels all day and my feet NEVER hurt, I also shopped for hours and hours. I used to have to sit my friends on a bench and come back for them lol. I'm retired and I still shop for hours.... until now. 11/10 will be 4 months and I have stretched it to about 4 hours of shopping but had to switch shoes in between..actually bought new ones lol Are you in physical therapy? I am and I get so stressed I start sweating and feeling sick... but it does help. Do you have that fasciitis pain? PT helps but I also bought a pair of slip on sketchers air cooled memory foam( around 60 $ normal price in Kohls) ones that I can actually "feel" the arch ( i never wore sneakers, hate the look of them) . I think it worked on stretching that tendon because I don't have that pain anymore, but my feet hurt when I'm on them too long. I bought a pair of clarks old fart comfortable shoes and decided to sacrifice style for a while in hopes of getting better sooner.I also bought a massager for my foot. It really feels good, I do epsom salt soaks, ice my foot and elevate it when I can. Like you, I'll consider myself recovered when I'm back to normal. If you're not going to pt you can google exercises to do. hey lets get thru this together!!!!!!

• Posted

I also bought dtox pads for my feet. I don't think you can use them too close together because I tried 2 days in a row and my foot seemed irri tated so I'll do it every 2 weeks. When I did use it the first time I felt an improvement even tho some sites say they are bogus. IT wasn't mind over matter because I rally wasn't expecting anything from them but figured what the hell they aren't expensive. I dont know what stores are close to you,, I get them in Ross, TJ max, burkes or marshalls. They are 5 sets for 5 bucks there. Can you tell now i have no patience and want a speedy recovery??????

• Posted

i slid in my cast as well and was nervous but did no damage.

Doesnt mean you didnt

If you ate uncertain have it checked

• Posted

I would definitely check with your doctor. You don't want to risk further set back. It is definitely a long recovery.

• Posted

Gillian, I'm seven weeks into the break on my foot and I've had a couple of mishaps also by twisting my ankle a couple of times. ugh! I'm going to the drs. Tuesday and I'm hoping I don't have to put that dreadful boot, or worse a cast back on. I did take the boot off a couple of days ago and hope I didn't further injure myself. Today my foot is burning a bit but I'm wearing a supportive shoe. I have read so many articles and responses from others suffering with foot injuries and there are so many different opinions on healing time. I know the body has a way of healing itself so stay off for a while and eat a healthy diet. I'll pray you have speedy recovery!

• Posted

thanks guys for us comments I'm going to get it checked Monday to be on the safe side I will let u know how I get on

• Posted

yes ,let us know and hopefully it's not anything.In the meantime if you feel swelling, I would elevate that foot as much as you can.

• Posted

I have it elevated constantly the funny thing is its not my bloody ankles that's swollen its where my foot bends

• Posted

Ived had swelling in different places.could be ankle , toes, the whole foot and also the feeling like theres an tight elastic band around my ankle. Each day is not the same.

• Posted

Hi, yes I did it too, couple of times. slipped and fell on my cast leg. It did hurt and had swelling. I rested it, elevated it, put ice pack on the cast. But! Like all the replies on here, If you are worried about it, get an xray. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.