Knee Cortisone injections

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi , i was due to have knee replacement 2 years ago but it was cancelled and since then i have lost 3 stone and been on cortisone injections every 4 months in the last year - this has really helped me and lasts about 2 months before gradually wearing off .

However my surgeon has now said he cannot carry on with injections as you can only have a maximum of 4 and now he needs to do a knee replacement - i thought you were allowed up to 4 a year and not 4 in total - anyone else gad these successfully for more than a year ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Whoa........ There are two things you can do before a TKR...

1. Synvisc injections - These are hydraulic acid injections into the knee space to "oil" the knee joint. For me, a three injection set over 2 weeks lasted almost a year each. Did this for a loooong time to forestall my TKR. When the doc says that you are beyond the help of Synvisc, you have one more thing to try...
    2. COOLIEF - This is "cooled radiofrequency ablation" of very specific nerves in your knee...specifically, the ones conducting all the pain. FDA-approved 15-minute op. In and out. Takes a few weeks to get the full effect but some patients report zero pain for up to two years...and then they do it again!!! Go to the website and locate a certified doc near you.

I need #2 done...but when it starts to really hurt, I'm going the COOLIEF route...definitely. The last stop on the train is TKRVille. You want to avoid that station as long as possible...but not into your 80s. If you absolutely need a TKR, you need to be young and strong enough to handle the one year rehab program. Just as in comedy, timing is everything. At least now you have more choices.

• Posted

thanks - the knee is now bone on bone and i am 54 bit as i say the cortisone has really worked for me along with tablet medication and i feel i could certainly get through at least another year if i was allowed to continue with injections as i am going comfortably for about 10 weeks after an injection before the pain kicks on again .

the surgeon was adamant that as ive had 4 injections in the last 18 months thwt he cannot continue with them .

i will raise this issue with him again !

• Posted

regarding this coolief - is it a new process and are you based in the uk ?

• Posted

I'm in the US. It is an FDA-approved procedure that's been around a while. Never heard of it until my doctor cousin told me to check it out. Go to the website to see it's available outside the US. My #2 is bone-on-bone and past cortisone and Synvisc. It's COOLIEF or a TKR. I'll have one from column A...thank you...

• Posted

Yes but this was a really long time ago 1990s .

Injections were given about 4 times a year by an excellent GP who was really on my side.

He always used to give me a double appointment, took his time and really made sure he injected in exactly the right place. The only time it did not work was when a junior doctor at A and E did it and he did not get it in the right place!! I knew he was doing it wrong but what can you say to them?

Then I moved. So I had a different GP. He did give me one injection but it did not last very long before problem reoccurred and I ended up having a Total Knee Replacement in 2012.

I think it should be a GP who decides how many you can have not a consultant surgeon.

I would be inclined to go for Knee Replacement if that is what you are being offered.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.