I broke my ankle over 10 years ago and had surgery - probably pins

or screws I don't really know but I can feel a protruberance just above

the inner ankle bone on my left foot. The doctor said it has completely

healed and I could have the pin(s) removed if I wanted but I didn't bother

to do it.

Trouble is at night my ankle just aches so much that I have to take a pain

killer to be able to sleep. Rubbing with Voltaren helps but it wears off

after a while. During the day when I'm up and about it's fairly ok but

nights can be bad, sometimes worse than others.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

ive been told mine cannot be removed, dont know why. but l think if l was still suffering after all these years l would take them out if its safe to do so.

• Posted

sorry to hear after 10 years you ate still experiencing pain but from everything Ive heard I guess pain off and on is inevitable

weather and other factors have a lot to do with it

I cant say I have pain but I can feel the hardware some days

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you're in pain so long after your injury and surgery. It could be arthritis. I had a pretty severe break and developed post traumatic arthritis in my ankle after only a year or so. Or one of your screws could be broken or couple be trying to come out. I've heard of that happening to people too. Have it checked out by the doctor! They can do xrays and find out what's going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.