BPH - Question on Supplements, Vitamins and Foods

Posted , 9 users are following.

Curious to know what supplements, vitamins you have found helpful for your BPH? Also curious to know what foods you avoid or try to consume more of as well as things like caffeine you try to avoid or consume more of, e.g. what has helped your BPH and what are things that aggravate it or make it worse?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Go into the internet and there are a lot of sites

• Posted

Irritants: Alcohol, hot peppers (jalapenos or other types) - negatively affects stream strength, nighttime trips and amount of void. Hot mustard like wasabi doesn't cause issues for some reason.

Caffeine does not really affect above but will cause more trips to the bathroom in the AM. I can usually get away with nursing one vodka drink for the night if i feel i must in certain social situations, but even one wine, beer or other types of hard liquor definitely cause issues.

I'm alternating on Supplements: I take different brands but usually go for the one with the most beta sitosterol. Also ones with lycopene, pumpkin seed, saw palmetto, etc. Also take turmeric and if I have anything resembling an infection I'll take mannose tablets which seem to clear it up 90% of the time, instead of getting antibiotics.

I did have urolift 18 months ago and obviously that has helped more than any of the supplements.

• Posted

Thanks Ken. Million websites on this but was looking for personal experiences from folks in this forum. Thanks for sharing yours. I am the same with caffeine. I can get away with drinking alcohol in moderation. I have taken some of the same supplements in the past but haven't really been able to tell if any of them have made any significant difference despite all the websites and claims that they do. I had Rezum five months ago and currently not taking any supplements but am considering starting again.

• Posted

I have been taking a high dose of pumpkin seed oil (3 times/day) l and also turmeric. I am now emptying my bladder which was confirmed by ultrasound and the pain that I’ve had in my testicle is all but gone away.

• Posted

When my BPH was at it's worst, chili really bothered me even if it wasn't spicy.

I tried several Chinese Medicines and Saw Palmetto extracts, with little effect. But after I had my PAE, the saw palmetto made a significant difference for a while.

Eventually, my symptoms improved enough that I'm not taking anything. But I will likely go back on the supplements if my symptoms increase.

Individual results vary with supplements, drugs, and procedures. Our bodies are slightly different, and it appears thatresponses to BPH treatments are less consistent than many other conditions.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything that works the same for all of us when it comes to treating BPH.

• Posted

Yes, it is very true, we are all different and will have different results from surgeries & procedures to recovery times. Saw Palmetto made my PSA score go up. I believe turmeric brought my PSA score down but I have no proof other than my personal results. I also believe the pumpkin seed oil is the reason I can now empty my bladder. However that does not mean someone else will have the same results. I just shared this info because of the topic heading. I do hope it might help other men who have not tried this combination.

• Posted

I use about a 1/2 inch slice of onion with 2 good size cloves of garlic and a little butter. Chop it up and fry a little.It taste good and does give me a stronger stream. Also I tried a prostate supplement wich I just reordered ,It gave me super wood. Just PM me if you want the brand of supplement. Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.