unusual breathing difficulties

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband felt like he was getting a cold a few weeks ago but it didn't really come to anything. He's started to have trouble swallowing and is chewing more slowly and thinking about swallowing rather then it being a reflex action.

He then started to have breathing difficulties, gasping for breath. lasting for nearly 2 mins. At one point I nearly dialled 999. Went to GP who said he had a throat infection and was having spasms and to gargle with soluble aspirin which he did but not really better. Went back to GP and had one of these attacks while there, she made an urgent referral to ENT, saying we'd hear within a few days. A week later we chased it up to find she'd marked it routine and not urgent. She did say to dial 999 if it happened again

Last weekend he one in the night - out of nowhere, again it lasted so I asked if her wanted me to call A&E. in the morning he asked me to take him there. (we did explain that it was the GP who said to go and not something we would normally do)

When not having these he's not gasping for breath and his chest is not working hard. It's almost like an acute asthma attack but in his throat. After one he keeps swallowing and can't stop - - it's most odd.

He has no chest infection, a chest xray was done - ok. He's 63, not overweight, reasonably fit. No known allergies or previous chest problems, quite healthy.

He does take omeprazole for hiatus hernia - diagnosed a couple of years ago, but has never suffered with heart burn.

ENT appt through for 30th December

He had another attack last nght and it lasted nearly two minutes again.

Any thoughts would be great.

Kind regards

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like GERDS to me. I do think it interesting that doctors in the UK don't do what they say they're going to do. We get that a lot here in the US too.

• Posted

Thanks. I think to be fair to the GP she did make the referral but marked it routine not urgent. Just as well we chased it up!

Could be gerds but it's come out of no where, which just seems odd. And in the day time too not just at night

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.