Coronavirus - Risks to vulnerable?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My mum is 66 and previously had a lung infection. My dad is 71 and takes immunosuppressants for rhemtoid arthritus. Are they at higher risk of Coronavirus. Should they stay at home. They still run their own accountacy business which is in a small local town in their own office. Is it safe for them to continue to do that?

The health advise on public health England seems to suggest they should stay at home, but i've seen other websites which would suggest that the limited contact they have with people at their business would be okay.

Although they can work from home, it does create issues for their clients who may be tempted to find younger accoutnants who still have their offices open. They only have small pension income and depend on their business.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

They are both definitely in the high risk category! I am 71 and take an immunosuppressant for RA and my doctor in the U. S. told me to stay home!

Good luck!

• Edited

Please please tell your parents to stay inside!!! I am writing from NYC and they recommend that anyone with underlying health issues stay inside. The problem with working with "young people" is that they may be asymptomatic and can SPREAD the disease to your parents. Not worth the risk if they can make a living from home. Stay safe this is a tricky virus and very contagious.

• Edited

Can they work at the office without any direct contact with clients? That would be OK - drive there in their own vehicle and allow no-one in. If they have to have contacts they should remain 2m away from the client and use masks of possible followed by strict hygiene procedures afterwards. But no contacts would be far safer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.