Medications and triggers

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been dealing with severe attacks for 18 months .They finally decided i have meineres disease without the headaches.I consider myself pretty tough but,I think I have met my Waterloo with this

Sudden dizziness that takes me down literally.The last attack lasted 27 hours of laying on floor dry heaving .I dont go to sleep.It's like I pass out.When I come to It's over but,It takes 3 days to get my strength back.I have started taking 1/2 valium morning and evening.The attacks seem to be shorter.About 3 to 4 hours which is a great relief.I heard about a medication out of canada that is suppose to be very effective.Does anyone have any info on it?I am 73 and I don't have any chronic conditions that I need medication for so I am very ignorant about medicine as far as it pertains to me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janice. You are probably referring to betahistine (serc). If you are in the USA you will need a prescription and will need to have it filled at a pharmacy that does compounding. Or you can order the branded form of betahistine, called Serc, from Canada. You will need a prescription for that too.

Betahistine, when taken at a sufficient dosage, will most likely end the vertigo attacks. Most doctors want MD patients to start at a low dose of 4mg three times/day and then titrate up to 16mg three times/day. Many MD sufferers need even more than 48mg/day to attain complete elimination of vertigo. I take 64mg.

I have bilateral MD and the betahistine has completely eliminated my vertigo and ear fullness and has greatly diminished tinnitus. If you need more info please direct message me.

One final thought....Betahistine does not work for everyone....maybe 80% find success with this med. If you are one of the few who do not, there are other options for you. Feel free to private message me on that if you like.

good luck!!

• Posted

Tanney,thank you so much for the info and offer of help.I will ask my doctor for script.I am glad that the medication is helping you.Hopefully I will have same results.Thank you again.

• Posted

I have had Meniere's for 7 years. At first it presented as loss of some hearing and distortion in my left ear only. Although still more prominent in the left side it is now in the middle of my head and far more severe. It is like I am scuba diving and can't clear my ears. I am not getting sick to my stomach but it is extremely disorienting. BTW, I have also had Tinnitus for probably 20 years. I am scheduled for another MRI for" just in case" but the doctor doubts there is brain involvement. I have been told there is no medication available so was quite surprised when I found this forum and read about Betahistine. I just messaged my doctor asking for his feedback.

• Posted

oh my gosh Janice, i feel so sorry for you, it is a horrible illness. i have been diagnosed for a number of years now and i have also been laid out for hours on the bathroom floor being sick and suffering a dizziness so severe i have been unable to open my eyes for hours.

i also take betahistine 16mg and have also recently been prescribed a diuretic, Bendroflumethiazide , and also for the sickness something called Buccastem

i do hope you get some medication soon and start to feel better. best wishes.

• Posted

I really appreciate the info on medication.I have had to increase my valium to two a day.I am hoping by taking your info to him I

can change it.Thank you for sharing your experience and I am very sorry that you have to deal with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.