Incision site

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello again all,

So, noticed this morning along my incision site (I had ORIF surgery on the outside of my left ankle March 5th), that there is a hard bump at the top of my incision under the skin. My legs are skinny to begin with, and super skinny now that two months have gone by with no weight bearing, so I am wondering if this is scar tissue or am I feeling a screw? And if I am feeling the screw, is it coming loose? I got to the doctor on Tuesday, so an xray should show that, but has anyone else experienced this? Wondering if this is a common occurence, or should I prepare myself for a possible setback? Here is my xray, it is consistent with where the screw up top is. Thank you all the answer. Be safe!image

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Dont worry to mutch mine was same.

It will improve...

Bit swelling when ur allowed to weight bare and it will be gone.. image

• Edited

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply and pic! It is always helpful when people have been there before. I don't think I have done anything wrong, but I still can't help but worry when something new comes up. I really appreciate the reassurance! Stay safe!!

• Posted

It's getting real good now walked 200 yards today.

No lumps bumps settling nice shure see change after the 6 month's it comes back to somewhat normal.

I used a skin cream kept it supple realy helped with the swelling.

Take care

Mark.

• Edited

Hi there,

Wow, your x-ray looks a bit more detailed then mine. I had ORIF with one plate and 6 screws on the right outside of ankle and one long screw on the inside right ankle. My scars look great now, i used maderma cream on them. I thought i had bumps and i thought my screws were coming out too. I think we all have these thoughts. This surgery is the most painful tough experience I've ever been through. I have made it now 13 months since my surgery. I am walking and pulling weeds and using the elyptical. I do not jog or jump yet. I haven't even tried to dance much yet. I was out of work for 8 months with this injury. When I did go back to work, I was still in pain but not so severe. Very long healing process. I hope you will recover quicker than I did, but just know time heals these kinds of injuries. As you have read, there was very many muscles, tendons and all kinds of other ligaments and cartlidge are in play here.

Take care of yourself and GOD Bless you now through this very difficult time. I get to stay at home AGAIN, this time I have company from my boyfriend last year I was mostly by myself through the long recovery process while he was working. I hope you have friends/family helping you through this.

• Posted

Kathleen,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It really is a difficult process even when pain is minimal. I think it is a muscle or tendon that is really ganked up in my leg, but will settle with time. At any rate, I should find out next Tuesday if my worry was for nothing (hopefully). I don't have a job right now because of Covid-19 which gives me plenty of time to recover but, I'd rather be working. I am so sorry that your recovery has been that difficult and painful. Hopefully the rest of your recovery will fly by and this will all just be a memory! I will let you know what the doc says if I still have an appt. I live in an area where cases are growing quickly, so who knows for sure. I wouldn't blame my doctor for being cautious and closing to everyone but the most severe cases. Stay safe and thank you again so much!

Gina

• Posted

It's amazing how we all progress a little differently. When I was able to go full bearing it was easier for me to dance than walk. I would even dance with my walker. Today ( at 9 month recovery) after a few minutes of walking I limp, yet I can dance for 2 or 3 songs no prob. I think it's because you're on the ball of the foot most of the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.