Has anxiety ever given you GI complications?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have always had anxiety, specifically health anxiety. About a year and a half ago i began having recurrent runs to the bathroom accompanied by major abdominal pain, it has happened roughly once or twice a month for about 15 months. I am very worried about a condition like Crohns etc. My doctor ran blood work and basic checks but said my case doesnt warrant a colonoscopy, yet. (i hate the word yet, basically saying if it gets worse come back) and he cut me loose. Pretty much everything was normal except mildly low B12 which corrected itself. Anyway he thinks i have Irritable bowel, basically meaning a gut that is very influenced by your stress level and emotions. It's one of those 'syndrome's' that seems logical to figure everyone in certain parameters would meet.

Anyway my stress level before this started was at a high. We had just moved, new work, struggling in college etc on top of regular anxiety but while that stress has gone these issues persist and i have no prior history of abdominal issues. I guess my question is if anyone else with anxiety has suffered intestinal aggravation from stress often from their anxiety given this is a supposedly common condition.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

yes i never had heart burn or any issues ever until i developed anxiety at some point. now i find that i too have ibs that is stress or anxiety induced. for myself i find that it comes and goes but this is t an alrmy thing really its quite normal. if you have seen a doctor and they have spoke with you about it i would not worry to much

• Posted

Hello i had the very same reaction then i read about cayenne pepper and i tried a little in orange juice and guess what it helped . i was worried about the hotness of the pepper and aggravating it more but then i tried anyway because the pain and the constant rushing to the bathroom was worst. now i use cayenne pepper in olive oil to rub for pain and it works wonders. hope this helps

• Posted

Hello i had the very same reaction then i read about cayenne pepper and i tried a little in orange juice and guess what it helped . i was worried about the hotness of the pepper and aggravating it more but then i tried anyway because the pain and the constant rushing to the bathroom was worst. now i use cayenne pepper in olive oil to rub for pain and it works wonders. hope this helps

• Edited

absolutely. The stomach and intestines can be very much affected by stress and anxiety. It caused me to have gastritis which is very uncomfortable as well as irritable bowel syndrome which includes cramping, diarrhea, weakness. severe long term anxiety and stress can also cause ulcers among other conditions. That’s why it’s important to get help managing the anxiety because it can wreak havoc on your entire body! Counseling can be helpful. Take care

• Posted

did you have any major tests performed? I guess my concern is it being something more like inflammatory bowel disease. My doctor said unless o see blood, have intense pain that doesnt pass or lose weight I shouldnt be concerned about that.. any thoughts or input from you experience? As I'm sure you understand anxiety has a lovely way of focusing on the 'could it be' factor

• Posted

i have the same problem,its been 4years that i have diarrhea ,on and off never been able to manage!my doc never did a full check up whats causing it,just i see when my anxiety is well manage my diarrhea is better! now is with the virus and anything its much worst ,i have a

burning in the chest almost constant ,abdominal cramps ! after all

this is over i will follow up with GI doc to see what is causing my symptoms

• Edited

yes it can, ever since my anxiety got severe, i develop digestive problem, like ibs, very bad acid reflux, gastric i dont know if its really the same has acid reflux, probably is and i would get sick from it, its horrible

• Edited

I have anxiety and depression have no appetite but when I do eat I get palpitations and feel bloated,terrible feeling,anxiety does a lot. I also feel like hot in the back of my neck

• Posted

i didnt read the post sorry i simply saw the title and the answer is HELL TO THE YES.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.