Men with thyroid modules more likely to be cancer?

Posted , 2 users are following.

im a 24 year old male with a 5mm thyroid cyst on my right lobe. it is a complex cyst meaning there is either some vascularity or solid component. anyway they found it by happenstance a year and a half ago almost and now and on several follow up ultrasound it shows no growth. now i know thyroid cancer can be slow but i would assume some growth would happen if it was. Still i am a lottle concerned as ive read in men thyroid nodules are a one in three chance of cancer if they have one. Is this true? part of thinks that is very skewed as men tend to not have thyroid issues meaning a good chunk could have cysts and not know it because they are never checked like a woman having a thyroid imbalance might be.

Either way they are doing yearly ultrasounds to make sure there is no growth and like i said a year and a half already with no growth so im really not too worried but just curious.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Do you have any other symptoms?

Can you feel your cyst when you touch our neck?

• Posted

nope. A doc really dug once and thought she might have felt it but wasn't sure. its only half a centimeter with no growth in a year and four months. I also recently read nearly one fifth of men have one if the thyroid is reviewed by ultrasound (a small one like mind)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.