Limping and pain while weight bearing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello All, I had surgery Feb 27, 2020 I have a plate and 6 screws in my right ankle. I was put into an aircast walking boot on March 11, 2020 and I begin weight bearing April 9. I started physical therapy on April 18 and I swear that lady gets on my nerves. I feel like it's a waste of time. anyways it's been 4 weeks since I been weight bearing with the boot on with both crutches. Today I decided to put on my gym shoes and I was walking around the house limping, but without the crutches and the boot. I even went to Walmart walking around limping. I been limping all day now I'm in pain it's tolerable, but I'm so ready to walk. I have an interview on Weds which they know I'm on crutches, but they need me to be walking without crutches for the job which make takes a few weeks because of background check. Do you guys think I should be walking ok by the end of the month. My ankle was not swollen either by walking around all day, but by the end of the day I wanted my crutches any advice will help thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

my tri facture with dislocation surgery was feb 21 , i have an over the phone doc visit for my 3 check up

which will be almost 3 months since my surgery , im walking without crutches and i stopped wearing my boot its so uncomfortable , and started wearing tennis shoes , because of virus havnt started PT yet , Lord willing mu doc rekeases me to PT this week so i can walk better without limp.

my ankle is swollen everyday but pain is not so bad

• Posted

Hey Marie 1952, Thanks for responding. I'm glad to hear you don't need crutches I still be needing them I'm trying to not need them no more I'm giving myself to Sunday. I guess my therapist she's ANNOYING I think I need to go some where else. I think you should look online to find some ankle excercises until your pt kicks in. it sounds like you are progressing very well. I felled on Feb 21 so yea you are a week ahead of me. Good luck with everything let me know if you get release to therapy I'm rooting for you. I hope I be walking by memorial day that's the end of this month

• Posted

i think we are healing around the sane time frame , i think you should be waling better an a month , my doc told me maybe 4 th month i could go back to work if i could tolerate standing for long periods of time.

• Posted

I think what you are experiencing is quite normal and part of your recovery

my surgery was last July and Id say by mid September I was walking in sneakers

I limped for awhile

Keep up with PT, it does help and do the exercises at home too.

Even now I have days where my ankle feels stiff But once Im up and moving its fine

Good luck

• Posted

I had my accident Feb 2019 and metal removable March 2020. My advice to you is to find a really good pt that does good exercises and massages the ankle. Also, kinesiology tape works very well to help the ankle feel normal when walking I wrapped around my ankle and it Helps Big Time! I also find wearing a sneaker that goes up the ankle is a plus. It's very important at this point in your recovery is ice and elevate whenever possible. Do the exercises at home too. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Jessica 71699,

I see that you comment a lot on this forum. I am so pleased to read what you have to say about getting your hardware removed from your accident. My question to you is this. Did you get all metal removed? I need to find out if my insurance will cover my removal of hardware. I have a plate and 5/6 screws (outside) of right ankle and one long screw/nail on the (inside) of right ankle. Both sides were surgically done at the same time. All I did was slip on the snow and hit a rock with the right side of ankle and then stood up and broke the inside of my ankle (ouch!!) I was out of work for 8 months. It was the most painful experience of my life. I am now after 14 months walking and climbing up my outside landscaping doing yardwork and such with little to no pain at all. Although, I still feel the stiffness and achiness and awkward/painy inside screw. It totally is bigger boned looking also from my left normal looking boney ankle. Anyway, sorry to ramble. I just wonder if you broke both sides of your ankle, to make my long story short. thank you so much. So glad you are feeling normal again. Are you still feeling pain from all your nerves and cartiladge being surgically scarred. Scar tissue i hear is a real pain to deal with in the future as we get older with this type of injury. I am 54 now, and wondering if i should get all this hardware out of my ankle. Thanks for listening, Take CARE, KathleenP.

• Posted

I purchased the tape on Amazon. My pt used it on my ankle and it made a big difference.

• Posted

Hi Ayanna,

Glad to hear you are walking around by yourself! I returned to work on Sunday and was able to be on my feet for the 6 1/2 hrs of my shift. My work is very understanding and provided me with a stool, but honestly I was so busy I really didn't have time to sit much. Don't get me wrong, I was limping by the end of the day and my ankle swelled up pretty well, but the pain was tolerable and I never felt the need to take any aspirin or anything. As you know, I have been walking on my own since the end of April (the 20th), and it gets easier as time goes by, but I still have a little pain and discomfort, and if I am on it a lot, it swells around both ankles and the top of my foot where it connects to my leg. I just turned 46, so I don't recover as quickly as I used to, but I think if there is a background check involved that takes a few weeks, you will likely be off of the crutches by then permanently. And I wish you much luck on getting your new job! Fingers crossed on everything!!

Gina

• Posted

Hey Gina, I'm so happy to hear you back at work. Did you do PT? I'm so happy to hear you are doing wonderful I'm going to keep walking without the boot. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday so hopefully he remove me from my boot. I hope your bday was wonderful I sent you a message that day. My therapist wants me to keep walking around in my boot, but my doctor told me to walk around for a few hours in the house without. I'm not putting that boot on ever again!!!

• Posted

I don't blame you!! As soon as I was able to ditch the boot, I cleaned it again and put it away. I also put my crutches in the closet as soon as I could ditch those too! I did not have PT. My doctor said I didn't need it. I think it is because I had a stable ankle fracture. He did give me exercises to do, the ABCs which I saw you mentioned, pointing and flexing, things like that, but walking with intention is the best one. I started off walking slowly, which is really hard for me because I am a fast walker by nature, but I don't want to create any bad habits or awkward strains on my body. I have increased my pace a little at a time, but am nowhere near my normal natural pace, or smoothly walking either. Tonight was the first time I felt like I walked somewhat normally, but we will see after work tomorrow (2nd day back). Every day is a little better and you are determined, so I think you will reach your current goal! My next goal is to get down my stairs normally. I can go up no problem, but I don't have the flexibility yet with my left foot to allow my right foot to reach the step below yet. All in good time. Let me know how Friday goes! I bet your doctor will be impressed with your progress! You go girl!

Gina

• Posted

Hello Gina, I will definitely let you know how Friday goes. I am still walking without the boot and crutches well today for PT I had to. I hope my walking gets better in the next couple of weeks. Take it easy at work tomorrow let me know how it went. I hope your day is as Beautiful as you are. We will be the walking warriors real soon 😂😂😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.