Locking knee joint

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, about two years ago i had a tear in the meniscus in my knee, after appointments with my physio he suggested physiotherapy rather than the usual surgery route for similar injuries. On some occasions, first one was many months after my initial tear injury, my knee locked into place whilst bent, and i was unable to straighten it as it felt impossible to do so physicall and also along with the pain that came from trying to do that. I am aware that there is likely a piece of cartilage in there loose blocking the knee joint and causing this, but before going ahead with surgery I was wondering if these symptoms would likely worsen or not if i were to not have surgery, and if not doing so would cause me more damage. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When your knee locks bent does it stay like it for a few hours? I had this before I go into my long story I just wanted to ask first no one ever believed me until it happened out and 2 paramedics witnessed it. I have never found anyone else who experienced it.

• Posted

Never locks for longer than couple of minutes, every time it has happened i seem to hold it out of instinct and then after fiddling with it it seems to unlock and i can move it completely again, its asif my holding of the knee is moving something inside it around to allow the joint to move freely again

• Posted

Hi Bradley

I have been playing Tennis for the last 50yrs at club level. About 25 yrs ago i started having problems with my knees. Various xrays indicated Osteoarthritis. Then i had problems with what i thought was pieces of floating cartilage in my knee joints making me unable to bend my knees for a few hrs.

Consequently i had a couple of key hole ops to wash out my knee joints which helped a lot.

About 10 yrs ago i turned sharply playing tennis and hurt my right knee and ended up having a partial menisectamy removing part of my meniscus cartilage. Unfortunately my knee did not get any better and became more painful and had problems running on it.

2yrs ago i had a right TKR and am now back playing Tennis after 1 yr doing excercises at Gym 3 times a week. I play 2 times indoors and back at my tennis club.

My advice depending how old you are would be to have the op to repare the meniscus cartilage seeing as you are still having problems with your knee, they will also clean out the knee joint as well which should help with any floating cartilage. If everything goes well you should see an improvement in your knee

This is just my opinion, may be worth an appt with an orthopeadic Surgeon

Good Luck

Howard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.