Motion sickness from acid reflux?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone been experiencing motion sickness as a result of acid reflux? Since New Years this year I have been experiencing GERD related symptoms, but the strangest and most frustrating symptom of all has been motion sickness. Previously I could be riding backwards, eating a greasy meal and watching a video and still not feel sick in a car. I can't even travel in a car for 5 minutes before feeling nauseous, bloated, needing to burp and sometimes dizzy - it doesn't matter if I'm driving or not.

I'm going back to my doctor next week as I trialled 20mg of Omeprazole for 4 weeks which didn't really do anything, especially didn't relieve my motion sickness symptoms, but would be good to know if anyone else has had motion sickness issues who suffers from GERD. Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Honestly there is practically nothing i haven't felt with GERD. BP, heart rate, dizziness, chest pains. Long sleepless nights. Name it.

It was simply horrible. I did gastroscopy and barium. I also took loads of lansoprazole. I still do. I sleep inclined almost 90°s. But they didn't seem to yield much.

However, I was prescribed amytripline several months back when doctors suspected it was anxiety related. It calms you down and makes you sleep. Loss of sleep is one of the many residual symptoms of GERD. I found it the most significant really.

The feeling of reset is noticeable on waking up after taking the drug. The downside is that it crashes my BP so badly. So I hardly take it except I am in real crisis which has reduced considerably in frequency and intensity.

You may want to discuss that with your doctor.

• Posted

yes, i have to rest for up to 2 or 3 hours after eating to avoid nausea this includes bending down and travelling

• Posted

I've been battling what we think is LPR (silent reflux) since this past Dec 2019. This did happen to me for about a month but eventually went away. I'm still dealing with other things but the motion sickness and burping in the car just went away. Keep in mind that I'm taking 80mg of PPI a day so that may be what fixed that issue. I tired to look this up during that time ans didn't see much about it online.

• Edited

there is a whole mess of symptoms. In dec. I drive myself to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack.. chest pain, left side, stabbing sticker pain.. 2 EKG, 2 sets of blood work and a chest xray! All said the doctor said it was Reflux. you never know.. the diet is most impt. No spices, no carbonated drinks, no alcohol, no chocolate, no caffeine, no Butter, little salt... I do take vitamin D and Vitamin C, vitamin B12, Calcium because PPI can deplete these vitamins... The most important thing of all is Anxiety. It makes this all worse... Doctor gave me xanax to take as needed.. I take lowest dose abt. 2x a week when needed. The best thing for this is a massage 2x a month... works wonders.... Stick to a diet, take vitamins and try to avoid anxiety.... also I take honey 2x a day like cough syrup.. it doesnt have to be Manuka, any kind works... I always had car sickness so that was nothing new, however I have not had it for a while since I got the gerd under control. make sure you elevate to sleep... hope this helps..

• Posted

I empathize with you. I have experienced periodic bouts of dizziness with my lpr condition. I thought it might be the omeprazole but I am not sure. Look at all the other medications you are taking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.