common cold

Posted , 5 users are following.

does it take longer to get over a cold if you have type 2 diabetes

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

From personal experience I would probably say no. I have diaberes type 2 diagnosed 3 years ago but only on medication 8 months and I started with a cold (or possibly another virus) which mainly affected my throat which started on Christmas Eve and lasted 2 weeks. My husband who does not have diabetes started with the same thing 6th Jan and his also lasted 2 weeks.
    • Posted

i just thought having diabetes affected your immune system n it took longer to get over viruses. thanks for replying
  • Posted

I suppose amanda10304 it would depend on the person. I have been diabetic for many years and over time found that the common cold does not last as long.

If you are having problems in subduing the common cold, can I suggest a product called " Parvacol D". This product is suitable for diabetes and helps to relieve symptoms of the common cold along with any cough that you may have. Also suitable for other family members. You may need to see if it is suitable for children.

NOTE: This is a paracetamol based product.

I find that this product helps bring up all the muck (mucus) of the chest and when it does, flush it away, you know what I mean.

Hope that this will help you and best of luck.

• Posted

I think you are right in theory Amanda.  Diabetes is an auto immune condition which would suggest our Immune systems are not working correctly so it would suggest that if you catch a virus or infection you may find a problem getting over it.  This is very prevalent when you have a cut or ulcer.  With diabetes infections are more common with injuries which is why they recommend you wear shoes or slippers always to protect your feet.  I am not sure but I believe this has something to do with the sugar in your blood feeding the infection.  I would love to know if this is correct as this goes against everything I have learnt about sugar which kills bacteria by sucking all the moisture out of it. Hence why it is used for preserving.
    • Posted

Hi Chrisy, you are correct in that Diabetes is an auto immune condition and as such recovering from a cold, the flu or any other virus can take longer, and can (but not always) lead to complications.

As you say, the most common area of risk is in the feet which can become damaged as the result of the loss of sensation due to Peripheral Neuropathy.

Having said this, not every Diabetic suffers with diabetic peripheral neuropathy, and is very much the luck of the drawer whether you are going to get it or not. This is why your Diabetes nurse will often check your feet by rubbing a stylus up and down the soles, sides and individual toes of your feet, to check if the sensitivity is still ok. If there appears to be a lack of sensitivity then it is likely that neuropathy is setting-in.

There are many more problems associated with Diabetes some of which you will have probably never suffered from before you became a diabetic. In my case I started-up with an intermittent renal malfunction, and later general skin disorders and Seborrhoeic Dermatitis/ Blepharitis for the first time in my life. All this has just added to my miserable experiences from this dreadful disorder.

On the up side, those of us who are still here to talk about it should be grateful to modern science for making significant steps to help us. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.