Compession "stockings" and urinary frequency at night

Posted , 13 users are following.

I wanted to thank the poster who mentioned compression socks or stockings as helpful in reducing urinary frequency at night. Short story: I tried it and it works for me. Today, saw my doc and asked him about it and he confirmed that -- in the sleeping position the body works overtime to harvest every drop of fluid/urine in the system. Hence, more urination. The compression during the day (not while sleeping) has the effect of squeezing more fluid out of the extremities in the daytime...and so easing the burden on the bladder in sleep mode.

So I tried it and last night reduced my usual up-every-two-hours to just ONE bathroom trip at 4 in the morning.

Legs/calves feel more relaxed too., Will watch and wait some more...but who'd have thunk that a rather simple step like this could provide some relief. (Socks are available in black, so they don't look dorky and grandfatherish.)

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Buddy

Glad that the socks help

I have been wearing them for years. Also if you can when you rest or nab put your legs on a pillow to raise them up the bed. It will help to keep your blood moving.

Have a great day.....................Ken

• Posted

Wow, Owen. I posted that but have only been able to reduce my nighttime trips by one from 3 to 2 using compression stockings. But for you to go from 3 or 4 down to 1 is great. Still, if you've only tried it for one night, let's see if the results last. Please continue to update us. Good luck.

Thanks!

• Posted

will do. maybe the first night was a fluke. I'll give it several days.

• Posted

I started wearing them yesterday - no change yet, but I'll give them a month.

• Posted

Night #2: Up once at 1 am after 9pm to bed. Standard for me otherwise is up every two hours.

• Posted

Owen,

Are you using knee high or thigh high, and what compression range are they, are they graduated, and what brand:

8-15mmHg

15-20mmHg

20-30mmHg

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

• Posted

I am using 15...but have a pair of 30s ordered on amazon.

• Posted

and knee high. They feel good. Hope it will be the same in hotter weather.

• Posted

Brand name(s) Jobst (8-15mm) purchased at Walgreens and

SB Sox (30mm)-- Amazon on line.

• Posted

The SB Sox (20 - 30 mm HG) look good but pricey at $15 for one pair. I have the Laite Hebe socks which were $14 for 3 pairs. It's not clearly stated, but a reviewer said that these are 15 to 20 mm. I' m considering getting a higher level of compression. I think my socks are now providing less compression, possibly because I just throw them in with the rest of the laundry. Normally, you're supposed to wash these socks by hand.

Also, I wear the compression socks from the moment I wake up until bedtime. I assume that is what you are doing as well?

• Posted

Yes...wearing them all waking hours but not while asleep. And I read somewhere that you are not supposed to machine dry these. Air dry only.

• Posted

Glad to have mentioned that. Have you tried the potato chips (extra salt) snack at bedtime which raises your blood sodium level and causes your body to retain water (less pee) overnight. Works for me some times.Jerry

• Posted

Not yet. And I have blood pressure issues so I doubt that approach can be embraced.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.