Complete hysterectomy scheduled . Post surgery, "Intimate" time with my husband question.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm having a complete hysterectomy in a couple days. At my pre-op visit, I asked a ton of questions and left feeling very comfortable with the answers and with my surgeon.

The resident that answered my questions before me speaking to my Dr,, seemed seemed quite confident there shouldn't be any problems when I asked the following question. "Since I'm having a complete hysterectomy and my cervix will be removed, will that negatively affect intercouse for him or myself? In other words, will he still be able to fully penetrate or will he be stopped by a shortend area? I realize there are variables, but generally speaking, has anyone ever had this problem? I will also address it again with my Dr.

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Lisa I would love to know if your medic said that there would be no problems achieving orgasm after a total hysto as I have not achieved orgasm after 5 years following the same procedure. If this is just me I would like to know why I have this problen - such as the cervix has been removed and this is my problem. I say this in case any other woman suffers the same devastating result as myself. Sorry to mention this if not appropriate to your circumstances

• Posted

I had a total hysterectomy with the removal of my cervix almost 3 years ago and I never had any issues with my husband or myself while having intercourse. For us absolutely nothing changed after the surgery. we continue to have the same great sex life the we had before my surgery. I hope this helps ease some concerns, but I also know that everyone's body will respond different after this procedure.

• Posted

As you say a total hysterectomy removes all of the uterus, including the cervix. Here's some info from Healthline. You can google it.

'You can orgasm after a hysterectomy. For many people with a vagina, a hysterectomy won’t make orgasm during sexual activities more difficult. Indeed, nothing may change.

However, if the part of your anatomy that was most sensitive to stimulation is removed, such as the cervix, or nerves connected to the tissue or organ are severed during the surgery, your ability to orgasm may be affected.

Clitoral sensation shouldn’t be affected because of the surgery. This includes G-spot stimulation. These nerves aren’t typically removed and not severed.

If you enjoyed cervical penetration but your cervix is removed, you may find pleasure in clitoral stimulation.

Likewise, vaginal sensation may be reduced because of nerves that were severed during the surgery. But other forms of stimulation may be as invigorating and lead to orgasm.'

Perhaps you will have some fun finding out - and don't forget that a sex counsellor could be really useful. Good luck with the op and take plenty of time to recover. Follow all the instructions and don't hoover! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.